Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Favorite Saturation Plugins - Does Anything Touch Decapitator (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405719)

adam79 07-24-2019 01:52 PM

Re: Favorite Saturation Plugins - Does Anything Touch Decapitator

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2533667)
Decapitator gets a ton of use here, so does HEAT. I don't see then as competing with each other.

Just going off my experience demoing Pheonix II, I'm sure HEAT is great. Especially that it integrates in some way w/ PT.

Have any of you tried AA Crimson? I demoed it a while back but don't remember being that blown away.

I'm gonna demo izotope trash 2. I think that's distortion, not saturation, but if it sounds good...

musicman691 07-24-2019 02:39 PM

Re: Favorite Saturation Plugins - Does Anything Touch Decapiator

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam79 (Post 2533706)
Just going off my experience demoing Pheonix II, I'm sure HEAT is great. Especially that it integrates in some way w/ PT.

Have any of you tried AA Crimson? I demoed it a while back but don't remember being that blown away.

I'm gonna demo izotope trash 2. I think that's distortion, not saturation, but if it sounds good...

I seem to remember you want to save money where you can right? If that's right stay away from any Acustica Audio plugins - not cheap and they don't sound all that good except to a certain group over at Gearslutz.

Trash 2 is pretty decent but like you say it's more distortion but it is so flexible and relatively inexpensive to boot compared to other saturation/distortion plugins.

Depending on what kind of saturation you're looking for you should take a look at Waves J37. I know it's a tape deck simulator but can do that type of saturation. If you're lucky/savvy you might even be able to pick it up during one of their $29 sales.

Muddy-T 07-24-2019 04:22 PM

Decapitator is the weapon of choice when it comes to dealing with those annoying side-stick and clap sounds I frequently encounter in so called 'Beats'.

For material that needs a lighter touch Radiator is just fantastic.

Also a big fan of Softube's Tape and more recently Harmonics.

T

64GTOBOY 07-24-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam79 (Post 2533706)

Trash is really rather deep. It can do all kinds of transient shaping, distortion, etc. It's deep enough that it can be kinda tough to get your head around in a short time.

amagras 07-24-2019 07:11 PM

I love this kind of threads, not sure if because it's related to saturation but it's inspiring to see how everyone has a different, yet useful, use for the same tools

YYR123 07-24-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2533667)
Decapitator gets a ton of use here, so does HEAT. I don't see then as competing with each other.

Totally true

xrekcor 07-25-2019 03:46 AM

Wow!!! Really?..... not my experience.... I remember missing a deal that was going over the Xmas period where I missed out by about a week... when I voiced how I was kicking myself for letting that deal slip Avid reached out to me personally to reinstate the offer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam79 (Post 2533528)
If I had known HEAT worked with PT 2019.6 I wouldn't have mentioned it.. my annual update thingy lapsed at ver 12.4 and I've been stuck with it ever since. I was only two days late trying to make the update payment and was basically told to get screwed, that I'm just a number for the the quarterly reports; now give us our fahkin money! This disrespect makes me want to try, and probably be a full time Reaper user in the near future. But I'm way off track here; I already have a PT vs Reaper thread. Back to the plugins.

xrekcor 07-25-2019 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2533674)
Call me stupid or whatever but I'm only using HEAT because of its integration to PT mixer. Tried alternatives but they are too much work for too little difference.

I am totally looking forward to this deal for HEAT coming out I’ll be jumping right onto it :D

Just curious though.... when you got HEAT did it make you reevaluate how you setup your mastering chain?

YYR123 07-25-2019 10:12 AM

Favorite Saturation Plugins - Does Anything Touch Decapiator

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrekcor (Post 2533769)
Just curious though.... when you got HEAT did it make you reevaluate how you setup your mastering chain?

No because HEAT is supposed to emulate the console itself.....it’s not a mastering type of plug

It’s a subtle warmth saturation type of plug. So for me that didn’t effect how my 2 tracks sounded

JFreak 07-25-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrekcor (Post 2533769)
when you got HEAT did it make you reevaluate how you setup your mastering chain?

No. It's just for mixing (for me that is)