Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   How do I download original OS 10.14.0 Installer (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405957)

Moviesound 08-14-2019 02:42 PM

How do I download original OS 10.14.0 Installer

As Avid don't support any (relatively recent) version of OS that can be downloaded via the app store. How the heck can we upgrade the os? I'm on Sierra but want to go to Mojave (for various non PT reasons)

App store only offers 10.14.6 but avid only support 10.14.5 which Apple do not offer. It's impossible. Can anyone point me in the direction of a full 10.14.0 so I can upgrade manually?

Darryl Ramm 08-14-2019 03:06 PM

Re: How do I download original OS 10.14.0 Installer

A better thing to do would be to search on DUC (use google search with site:duc.avid.com qualifier) and see if people are running on 10.14.6 OK or not. You don't even need to waste time posting and waiting for an answer.

Getting older versions of macOS/OS X have also been discussed here lots in the past.

Moviesound 08-14-2019 03:09 PM

I can't find any info on people running 10.14.6

Darryl Ramm 08-14-2019 03:35 PM

Here is the first result for Googling

10.14.6 site:duc.avid.com

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...72#post2535372

Avid official support does not track latest releases of macOS near enough to suit many people, in which case your best bet is searching here then asking if needed. And more than just searching it works, look for people complaining loudly of issues--there usually is fast reporting of issues here. And in this case the answer should be obvious.

On your other question, you download and save old macOS installers yourself in case they are needed. Larger studios/professional facilities that need to be on older/consistent macOS versions manage to do all that. If they are *really* needed in future and you did not get them then you can try pleading your case to Apple support. But for just 10.14.5 and likely no convincing reason now I doubt Apple support would give you the time of day.

JFreak 08-15-2019 04:57 AM

Yep.

MOSTLY OSX/macOS dot-releases are just bugfixes. One point release here and there usually doesn't matter.

Obviously there are exceptions, like the ancient Panther which gave us huge change (for the better) in 10.3.4 and then another huge change (for the worse) in 10.3.9 -- but things like that are rare, Apple introduces most major changes in dot-zero versions.

Moviesound 08-15-2019 12:52 PM

Ok. I’ll take the plunge

xrekcor 08-15-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2535466)
On your other question, you download and save old macOS installers yourself in case they are needed. Larger studios/professional facilities that need to be on older/consistent macOS versions manage to do all that. If they are *really* needed in future and you did not get them then you can try pleading your case to Apple support. But for just 10.14.5 and likely no convincing reason now I doubt Apple support would give you the time of day.

Never thought you could do that and that would be a great idea..... how can I get another copy of what I have now for instance? sorry if this sounds stupid but it would be even more stupid-er if I didn't ask.

Darryl Ramm 08-15-2019 04:32 PM

Which part are you asking about? The first part you downward and save a copy of the macOS installer from the App Store. Great stuff to keep stored on a file server.

xrekcor 08-15-2019 05:52 PM

the original installer for Mojave for instance...... I’m guessing that all the supplementary updates don’t come as 1 installer. I upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave via the App Store and maybe didn’t notice a save option. I’m fairly new to the nuts and bolts of Mac.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2535584)
Which part are you asking about? The first part you downward and save a copy of the macOS installer from the App Store. Great stuff to keep stored on a file server.

xrekcor 08-15-2019 05:57 PM

Actually correction..... I think I updated via the lil apple in the top left corner “About This Mac” menu item.