Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Successor to HDX hardware? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=391731)

MazerRackham 06-15-2017 11:14 AM

Successor to HDX hardware?

I am close to buying HDX and wondering if there is any sense of an impending hardware refresh to replace HDX cards? I know Avid doesn't talk about this stuff, but I don't feel I have a pulse myself on where we are in the lifecycle of things. So, judging by history and whatever you've heard, do you have any opinion on this?

jsvalmont 06-15-2017 12:01 PM

Re: Successor to HDX hardware?

I think now would be the perfect time to get into an HDX system. They recently dropped the price significantly. There are a ton of amazing plugins for it. It makes for the best and most stable tracking and mixing system in the planet in my opinion. I don't see a new platform coming out anytime soon.

YYR123 06-15-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsvalmont (Post 2435218)
I think now would be the perfect time to get into an HDX system. They recently dropped the price significantly. There are a ton of amazing plugins for it. It makes for the best and most stable tracking and mixing system in the planet in my opinion. I don't see a new platform coming out anytime soon.

I agree with JSV.....great time to buy in and I would put money on it that they won't have anything new in the coming years.

With the whole software stability subscription thing. I am sure much of their time is spent there.

S6 is bound to be garnering serious attention for updates and additions.

Besides the Achilles heel of the HDX card is it won't run anything besides AAX. They would have to bring more people on board with AAX-DSP and that ain't happening either.

I think they made a great move by lowering the price of the HDX and HD-N family of cards.

Bravo Avid.

JCBigler 06-15-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2435223)

I think they made a great move by lowering the price of the HDX and HD-N family of cards.

Bravo Avid.

I agree. It got us into an HDX system when I had previously budgeted for just HD Native. Not that we need the DSP of the HDX system, but it looks good on the spec sheet for a commercial venue like ours.

YYR123 06-15-2017 12:52 PM

The best part of HDX is lower latency specs and plugs while tracking !!!

Totally worth 3k....I would buy one tomorrow if I had 3k in my pocket [emoji23]

Extreme Mixing 06-15-2017 05:10 PM

I don't agree with that guys. HDX was released in 2011. That's a long time ago in computer years, don't you think? HD Accel came out in 2003. So it lasted 8 years. HDX is 6, or 7 years old now. I agree that it's a great system, but sometimes daddy just needs a little something new. And the prices did just come down...

Steve

Barry Johns 06-15-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2435226)
The best part of HDX is lower latency specs and plugs while tracking !!!

Totally worth 3k....I would buy one tomorrow if I had 3k in my pocket [emoji23]

Pretty easy to find them used for less than 2k these days.

albee1952 06-15-2017 06:33 PM

There's also the question of whether you NEED HDX. I track bands all day long on HD/Native, no console, with 6 stereo headphone mixes from within the sessions and no complaints about latency:o

Extreme Mixing 06-15-2017 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2435252)
There's also the question of whether you NEED HDX. I track bands all day long on HD/Native, no console, with 6 stereo headphone mixes from within the sessions and no complaints about latency:o

And there is that, too... I have HD Native and it has worked brilliantly for me. None of my issues would be solved by HDX. But I have installed HDX for some clients because I KNOW they are very sensitive to latency, or they like to track while monitoring things like their GML EQ. Can't do that with Native. But most don't need to.

Steve

jsvalmont 06-15-2017 07:02 PM

Maybe I am the only one who also loves the power HDX also gives me for mixing. But maybe that's just me.