Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   For heaven's sake, will you update the drivers for MBOX 3 please, Avid? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=392455)

vempx 07-15-2017 11:42 PM

For heaven's sake, will you update the drivers for MBOX 3 please, Avid?

The MBox 3 seems to be aging very bad with the new Windows releases these days.
It's quite obvious many people are having trouble with this device, some are minor annoyances, others are crippling.
Here's my little contribution:
1) On Windows 10 64bit Creator's update, switch to any sample rate other than 44k in Mbox control panel. System MME based sounds stop working.
2) Specify any settings in Properties -> Advanced -> Default format list will fix it.
3) Changing sample rate in Mbox control panel again will break things again (excluding 44k).

On Windows 7 the driver didn't have this problem.
Not to mention, I've had countless BSODs associated with avidmbox.sys.
Please for the love of god, fix the drivers Avid.

Symmetry77 11-07-2019 05:41 PM

Re: For heaven's sake, will you update the drivers for MBOX 3 please, Avid?

I realise this is an old thread, but I couldn't agree more.

The last driver for the Mbox 3 was released in 2014, which is before Windows 10 was released. Honestly, it feels like Avid has abandoned this device, but is too afraid to come out and actually say it is unsupported.

Given the price of these interfaces, i would really have expected more.

Darryl Ramm 11-07-2019 06:20 PM

Avid *has* abandoned this device. That's exactly what they have done, and they've made that clear. It's end of life. You should not be expecting any software updates.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-support-dates

Symmetry77 11-07-2019 06:23 PM

My mistake. Thanks for the update.

Darryl Ramm 11-07-2019 06:29 PM

If you want to look for a replacement interface you can ask here for suggestions and let folks know what you are doing/connections you need etc. One of the main things many folks here would look for is high quality drivers and frequent driver updates. An area where higher-end prosumer interfaces do better than Avid did. I'm thinking folks like UAD, Motu, etc. Avid made some OK lower end products in their day, they were not really that expensive and never seemed to have a sensible model on how to provide support for that marketplace. overall a good move for everybody that they got our of it.

Symmetry77 11-07-2019 06:38 PM

That's good advice, i'll do that. Thanks for your input.

albee1952 11-08-2019 11:26 AM

It might be worth trying ASIO4ALL:o

Southsidemusic 11-08-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2543995)
It might be worth trying ASIO4ALL:o

Why would anyone ”wanna” try Asio4all which is a crappy bandaid for people who have ordered an interface but haven’t got it yet!

Cagney 05-14-2020 05:36 PM

On the subject of Asio4all, I find voicemeter much better. It allows other sounds to play whilst using pro tools. Never given me a problem.

albee1952 05-14-2020 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2543998)
Why would anyone ”wanna” try Asio4all which is a crappy bandaid for people who have ordered an interface but haven’t got it yet!

I agree 100%. Just a free experiment for folks that are too broke to buy a newer interface:o