Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Pro Tools 12 Midi Not Working (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=396495)

needled39 01-20-2018 10:02 AM

Pro Tools 12 Midi Not Working

1 Attachment(s)
I'm having an issue with PT 12 and midi. I upgraded to PT 12 from PT 8LE some months ago, and I ironed out all the initial issues I had, but today is the first time I've tried to use midi and it's not working/there is no signal.

A few notes:
-I am not using a midi controller/keyboard. I am simply programming the midi manually on the keyboard roll, but there is no sound as I input them or on playback, and the track does not show any signal as it passes over the notes.

-When viewing the track in 'clip' mode, the clips appear to be almost grayed out. I have verified they are NOT muted, and the track is definitely active. At the bottom I have attached a screen shot showing what the track/clips appear like.

-I have opened old sessions which contained midi, and those sessions are having the exact same issues with the midi tracks.

Any help would be appreciate, thanks in advance!

john1192 01-20-2018 11:29 AM

Re: Pro Tools 12 Midi Not Working

Quote:

Originally Posted by needled39 (Post 2470029)
I'm having an issue with PT 12 and midi. I upgraded to PT 12 from PT 8LE some months ago, and I ironed out all the initial issues I had, but today is the first time I've tried to use midi and it's not working/there is no signal.

A few notes:
-I am not using a midi controller/keyboard. I am simply programming the midi manually on the keyboard roll, but there is no sound as I input them or on playback, and the track does not show any signal as it passes over the notes.

-When viewing the track in 'clip' mode, the clips appear to be almost grayed out. I have verified they are NOT muted, and the track is definitely active. At the bottom I have attached a screen shot showing what the track/clips appear like.

-I have opened old sessions which contained midi, and those sessions are having the exact same issues with the midi tracks.

Any help would be appreciate, thanks in advance!

even though you do not have a keyboard .. do you have an input and output assigned to your Midi Track ?? or are you using an instrument track ??

a little more info please thank you

albee1952 01-20-2018 02:49 PM

Indeed^^^ grey'd out midi means it is not assigned to a sound source:o

needled39 01-21-2018 07:29 PM

The input is set to 'no input'

The output is set to the 'Mains' output. (Same output as everything else which is functioning properly in the session)

I am trying to use this for a drum reference, with the Xpand plug in, so an instrument track.

thanks

needled39 01-21-2018 07:37 PM

OK after reading your responses I played around and got it to work. I went to view, and clicked "Edit Window Views;" then I clicked "instrument tracks" and I noticed Xpand showed up in the pane but was greyed out. I clicked it, and selected 'track 1' and now it appears to be working. I'm not exactly sure what I did, but it's working! thanks for helping me get there haha

TNM 01-21-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by needled39 (Post 2470254)
OK after reading your responses I played around and got it to work. I went to view, and clicked "Edit Window Views;" then I clicked "instrument tracks" and I noticed Xpand showed up in the pane but was greyed out. I clicked it, and selected 'track 1' and now it appears to be working. I'm not exactly sure what I did, but it's working! thanks for helping me get there haha

you didn't do anything wrong, pro tools randomly loses it's VI midi assignments when loading projects.

This happens to me every day of the week.

I suggest keeping a note in the notepad area of each VI track on what it's supposed to be assigned to

needled39 01-22-2018 02:04 PM

Will do, thank you