Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Slate Digital AAX-DSP? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=350910)

treason 02-09-2014 01:34 PM

Slate Digital AAX-DSP?

Back in April 2012 here, Slate announced AAX-DSP support. We're all aware of the delays from Slate Digital (I'm quite anxious for their release), however with the apparent approaching onslaught of Slate Digital plugs about to be released in AAX format - do we have any ideas if these new versions will also include AAX-DSP? One of the strong influencers for my purchase of HDX was Slate's statement above.

Steven? Any comments?

Southsidemusic 02-09-2014 01:41 PM

Re: Slate Digital AAX-DSP?

Quote:

Originally Posted by treason (Post 2130654)
Back in April 2012 here, Slate announced AAX-DSP support. We're all aware of the delays from Slate Digital (I'm quite anxious for their release), however with the apparent approaching onslaught of Slate Digital plugs about to be released in AAX format - do we have any ideas if these new versions will also include AAX-DSP? One of the strong influencers for my purchase of HDX was Slate's statement above.

Steven? Any comments?

Hey

As far as I have understood them (Slatedigital) there will be AAX Native for now and haven't heard anything regarding AAX-DSP unfortunately. however I have only talked to one guy there who help us out immensly with an issue with SSD4 Platinum and he did a super job taking over our computer from the US. I asked him a few other things afterwards and DSP versions were on of them :o

Hopefully I am wrong and Slate will come out with AAX-DSP and we will all have a ball :p

Best Regards
Christopher

TOM@METRO 02-09-2014 02:33 PM

While I have every reason to have reservations, Steven did say we would get DSP versions. I sure hope we do, as that's when this company will come to life for me.

Mike496 02-09-2014 02:44 PM

I'm in the same boat with you. I'm hoping to get Slate AAX DSP ASAP!

roberts 02-09-2014 04:23 PM

Last time I asked Slate that question I got a different answer. It was "we'll see after getting native out"

Mike496 02-09-2014 05:15 PM

I wonder if we'll see a Q1 roll out of the remaining must have AAX plugins in Native and then see a end of Q2 - Q3 AAX DSP roll out as paid feature upgrades.

mesaone 02-09-2014 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike496 (Post 2130718)
then see a end of Q2 - Q3 AAX DSP roll out as paid feature upgrades.

Given the way Slate released extra VCC models (Trident and RC-Tube) and didn't charge extra, maybe they will follow suit with any DSP upgrade.

JFreak 02-09-2014 11:04 PM

Just want to get AAX-native of FG-X and VTM as in yesterday :D :D :D

tamasdragon 02-10-2014 01:20 AM

Unfortunately they're still not ready with AAX native, so I think there are two possibilities here. One, they are so occupied with this recoding process that AAX DSP is not on their radar yet, or they are very cleverly planning the recode process, so AAX DSP is not far away from the Native release.

audioluche 02-10-2014 05:34 AM

Yep,

Steven said they were doing it, hope they dont change their minds.
That would be very disappointing.

Rosco1969 02-10-2014 08:32 AM

LOL... don't hold your breath!

YYR123 02-10-2014 08:35 AM

Hahah - Soon

Bob Olhsson 02-10-2014 08:40 AM

My understanding is that AAX-DSP code also will run native so if they are recoding everything from scratch, it probably is going to be DSP, assuming that's possible for a given plug.

treason 02-10-2014 11:22 AM

I'm hoping that I'm reading in between the lines correctly when I read of delays associated with recoding the plugs to 1)run in a new common framework 2) be more resource efficient. I'm hoping those two efforts are designed to spread out their offerings across both AAX-Native and AAX-DSP. I can't imagine why they'd be last to the AAX table unless they had a "surprise" for us up their sleeve. In my opinion, adding AAX-DSP to their offerings would really propel them solidly into position as "THE PRO OFFERING" on the Pro Tools platform.

That hoped for - I would love to get updated from Steven/Fabrice on their current musings on AAX-DSP.

Mike496 02-10-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treason (Post 2130926)
I'm hoping that I'm reading in between the lines correctly when I read of delays associated with recoding the plugs to 1)run in a new common framework 2) be more resource efficient. I'm hoping those two efforts are designed to spread out their offerings across both AAX-Native and AAX-DSP. I can't imagine why they'd be last to the AAX table unless they had a "surprise" for us up their sleeve. In my opinion, adding AAX-DSP to their offerings would really propel them solidly into position as "THE PRO OFFERING" on the Pro Tools platform.

That hoped for - I would love to get updated from Steven/Fabrice on their current musings on AAX-DSP.

I couldn't agree more! :D

mesaone 02-10-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2130891)
Hahah - Soon

It's so soon that it's negative. VTM was slated (ha) for Feb 20th. The T in VTM stands for "time"

WombatStudio.Org 02-10-2014 05:58 PM

Via Facebook Feb 6th:

Slate Digital LLC: The new VCC 2 is gonna be killer guys! We're working on it. New features, new FREE console, FREE update! Thanks for your patience, it'll be worth it!

Is the current VBC DSP? I thought that was their "flagship" new framework plugin - that would tell you something, yes?

YYR123 02-11-2014 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org (Post 2131044)
The new VCC 2 is gonna be killer guys! We're working on it. New features, new FREE console, FREE update! Thanks for your patience, it'll be worth it!

Nice I didn't know - I don't think I've liked them on FB - I appreciate the info

treason 02-12-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org (Post 2131044)
Via Facebook Feb 6th:

Slate Digital LLC: The new VCC 2 is gonna be killer guys! We're working on it. New features, new FREE console, FREE update! Thanks for your patience, it'll be worth it!

Is the current VBC DSP? I thought that was their "flagship" new framework plugin - that would tell you something, yes?

I'm hoping that since the latest VBC is still "in beta", that Slate is testing the framework and limiting variables to AAX-Native only. Since developers like McDSP (I think they are about the same size shop) had AAX-DSP running quickly, yet sacrificed plug preset compatibility for delivery speed (while UAD chose the opposite - providing plug compatibility RTAS->AAX), I'm hoping Slate is looking at plug compat, Framework optimization as well as algorithm tweaking such that the desired Algorithm Efficiencies translate well to AAX-DSP.

Again - I'm reading smoke signals, and that smoke might be hallucinatory inducing. I have absolutely no Slate knowledge nor contact with Slate or Slate Digital.

Steven/Fabrice - what is the AAX-DSP thinking almost 2 years since commitment?

groundcontrol 02-12-2014 11:37 AM

Slate Digital AAX-DSP?

For my part I think they *really* need to do their homework on the optimization front.

They skiped that part last time around. What is the real value of a plug-in that is truely best-of-class audio-wise if I end up not using it because of its too high demands on my cpu.

Other shops can make their stuff run much more efficiently on the same cpus...

Bob Olhsson 02-12-2014 02:02 PM

The trick is achieving BOTH great sound and efficiency. This is not trivial at all.

groundcontrol 02-12-2014 10:40 PM

Agreed. But it's part of the game...

treason 02-15-2014 11:41 AM

I understand the CPU resource issues brought up, but personally I'd rather have a set of complex plugs that sound amazing regardless of the CPU hit. Frankly - the reason I want to see Slate AAX-DSP is to address that very issue and have the option to offload the processor hit onto a HDX Card.

Not only do I want my VCC back, I want my VCC, VTM, VBC, FG-X on AAX-DSP.

Mike496 02-15-2014 11:59 AM

DSP DSP DSP!!! I'm in the Olympic spirit :)

Keith Moore 04-21-2014 07:20 PM

Any update on these? Steven?

YYR123 04-21-2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Moore (Post 2151004)
Any update on these? Steven?

As SPA's unofficial PR spokesman, I say he is busy doing a video shoot.

Sorry guys

treason 04-22-2014 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2151006)
As SPA's unofficial PR spokesman, I say he is busy doing a video shoot.

Sorry guys

Sigh

guitar_hero 04-23-2014 08:36 AM

He been saying he is doing AAX DSP since October 2012 - It's April 2014 - that says something right there.

Guy McDude 04-23-2014 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2130675)
While I have every reason to have reservations, Steven did say we would get DSP versions.

I [ foolishly] purchased his plugs based on this promise.
If I remember correctly, the demo did have an AAX version?

Anyway, hopefully he will come through

ronwasserman 04-24-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitar_hero (Post 2151352)
He been saying he is doing AAX DSP since October 2012 - It's April 2014 - that says something right there.

Too busy doing videos and promoting other non existing products. (Sorry Steve but your reputation is starting to slide.)

JFreak 04-25-2014 12:30 AM

He's not coding by himself. AAX64 is not yet even a year-old format so naturally every company out there tries to release AAX64-native first and then go figure what needs to be done to get the DSP version out.

Except Sonnox. They were one of the first to release AAX-native and AAX-DSP simultaneously. Everything they have and can be fitted into DSP have already been around for some time and in my book that makes them look better company than before. (I didn't like their decision to have plugin transfers pre-approved by them, but at least it makes their iLok licenses safer than many others...)

If you have a one-man company, or have otherwise limited resources, it's not so easy. Give it time, they'll come. Even a company called Lexicon that is backed by Harman (huge company) has had trouble releasing their stuff. Only PCM are released as Alpha (or what I would call public beta) and they surely should have the time and money to have it done already.

I like fresh new starts and this is one of them. Let's just sit tight and wait. This is a major transition and we don't want plugin companies to simply port things over but take their time and code the plugs more efficiently, do we?

MIKEROPHONICS 04-25-2014 04:08 AM

all in all - his plugs do sound remarkably good!

JFreak 04-25-2014 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS (Post 2151794)
all in all - his plugs do sound remarkably good!

Yep! Loving VTM and anxiously waiting for FG-X :)

Bob Olhsson 04-25-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2151767)
...Except Sonnox. They were one of the first to release AAX-native and AAX-DSP simultaneously. Everything they have and can be fitted into DSP have already been around for some time and in my book that makes them look better company than before...

To be fair, the Sonnox that came out immediately had been part of the Oxford console which probably had even more limited resources than AAX-DSP. They were not needing to figure out how to cram a pound sandwich into the box for a 6 ounce version and it was not a TDM to AAX port like many others.

JFreak 04-25-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson (Post 2151835)
To be fair, the Sonnox that came out immediately had been part of the Oxford console which probably had even more limited resources than AAX-DSP. They were not needing to figure out how to cram a pound sandwich into the box for a 6 ounce version and it was not a TDM to AAX port like many others.

Nevertheless, they were one of the first ones to deliver AAX-native and AAX-DSP versions of most things they could. I have still zero AAX-DSP from Eventide, TC Electronic, Serato, Waves, just to name few...

And AFAIK the story goes so that AAX-DSP is very much less limited compared to TDM so anyone who has algorithm working as TDM should be able to convert that algorithm working as AAX-DSP, should they want to.

treason 04-25-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2151868)
Nevertheless, they were one of the first ones to deliver AAX-native and AAX-DSP versions of most things they could. I have still zero AAX-DSP from Eventide, TC Electronic, Serato, Waves, just to name few...

And AFAIK the story goes so that AAX-DSP is very much less limited compared to TDM so anyone who has algorithm working as TDM should be able to convert that algorithm working as AAX-DSP, should they want to.

I don't think anyone disagrees that their released and working plugs sound great. The issue this (and other threads) have been recently highlighting have to do with Slate's schedule announcements and either lack of followup, not understanding the technology market Slate is in (and therefore unable to schedule resources to meet said announced schedules), or inability to attract the necessary development team to attack the breadth of his offerings.

There may be more reasons (they are not at issue in my mind), but the core of the complaint is:
  1. that I have come to depend upon his plugs
  2. his announced schedules (and plug formats) are independent of Slate's ship schedule
  3. my productions must look for other replacements
  4. I do not have time in my schedule (which I must hit) to allow for re-integration of non AAX (Native/DSP) Slate available and shipping plugs

All of this leads to Slate's credibility beginning to crumble in my opinion. I'm disappointed and frustrated with his business ... um ... methods?

Again - If I didn't love his plugs - I wouldn't complain. Steven - take it as a backhanded compliment of your shipping and working plugs (not of your PR nor scheduling nor resource management ability).

JFreak 04-25-2014 12:31 PM

All plugin vendors started over less than a year ago. Avid changed the AAX spec from PT10 to PT11 so I myself don't give a damn how long it takes to release quality stuff, as long as the release is top notch.

Another feeling regarding companies such as TC Electonic and Waves who won't be porting their old TDM stuff over to AAX-DSP...

Bob Olhsson 04-25-2014 12:35 PM

FWIW there is nothing stopping people from audiosuiting them in PT 10 and then moving to 11. Obviously he got in over his head in technology and he freely admits it.

That said all plug-ins are still the bargain of the century.

roberts 04-29-2014 12:32 PM

Moving of from Slate FGX which will never be AAX DSP from the looks of things Slate has been promising for years now - Duy Dream Dynamics is freaking awesome and AAX 64 DSP!
It crushes FGX

JFreak 04-29-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson (Post 2151929)
That said all plug-ins are still the bargain of the century.

Talking about Eventide Blackhole? Under 100 dollars this month, a secret weapon of a 5500 dollar H8000 hardware...