Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   should I Change my Mbox 2 pro for Profire 610??? (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=317142)

matias4000 02-08-2012 11:23 PM

should I Change my Mbox 2 pro for Profire 610???

OR maybe for the Presonus Firestudio Mobie????

So, I got Pro Tools 9.. macbook pro osx 10.6.8..
There's a dude selling a Profire 610, and i was reading the recording quality is way better than mbox 2 pro, should I get rid of this mbox 2 pro and get the profire?? Is it really better quality recording voice, guitar cabs, etc ? thanks!

matias4000 02-09-2012 05:22 AM

Re: should I Change my Mbox 2 pro for Profire 610???

yo anybody? i need something better than the mbox 2 pro. I'm just not digging the quality when recording voice and guitars that much. maybe the profire 610 or the presonus firestudio mobile?

Obsidian Dragon 02-09-2012 07:32 AM

In my opinion, these interfaces all are about the same quality. In general there may be a slight difference in the specification for the A/D D/A converters and the mic press are all intended to sound neutral and mostly accurate. The difference is so slight that I would not pay for it. What type of sound are you trying to get? You may be better off getting a quality external pre amp or channel strip to achieve your desired sound. Also mic placement is very much a part of how it will sound. Perhaps a new mic is in order. These two items will have a more drastic impact on your sound than the interface. Also, how are you listening to your output? Quality monitors in a properly treated room makes a world of difference in how your sound will translate. I would look into these before even replacing the interface or using plugins to modify your sound.

matias4000 02-09-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon (Post 1899679)
In my opinion, these interfaces all are about the same quality. In general there may be a slight difference in the specification for the A/D D/A converters and the mic press are all intended to sound neutral and mostly accurate. The difference is so slight that I would not pay for it. What type of sound are you trying to get? You may be better off getting a quality external pre amp or channel strip to achieve your desired sound. Also mic placement is very much a part of how it will sound. Perhaps a new mic is in order. These two items will have a more drastic impact on your sound than the interface. Also, how are you listening to your output? Quality monitors in a properly treated room makes a world of difference in how your sound will translate. I would look into these before even replacing the interface or using plugins to modify your sound.

im recording voice with an at4040. I'm trying to get a deeper sound somehow.. i'm mostly recording rock things and soft pop with deep voices. my speakers are krk rookit 5, not pro level but im liking them so far. You think a channel strip could be better then? i was actually looking at a PreSonus studio channel Tube last night. thanks!

hue 02-09-2012 08:10 PM

I'm pretty sure the Studio Channel is starved plate design but that doesn't mean it's bad. If you're looking for deeper sound, you might want to consider an SM7B or even an EV RE20. Work on technique before you buy new gear. A good pop filter and proximity will get you chestier tones.

groundcontrol 02-09-2012 09:01 PM

Although you the SM7 needs alot of gain it's a classic rock vocal mic. An the RE20 is probably the best all around studio mic thee is.

In my opinion those sound cards are all different flavors of the same crap (ok the MBox being a somewhat stinky load...) and your mic isn't helping the proceedings unfortunately.

If you want to upgrade you could do worst than spring to a Duet/Duet v2. However I must confess having been impressed by the MBox3 in the quick time I've had one in my hands. (It's supposedly been designed by ex-pats from Apogee and that would make sense.)