Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Second hand original Mbox vs new Mbox 2 Mini (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=236727)

east 01-15-2009 06:23 PM

Second hand original Mbox vs new Mbox 2 Mini

Greetings,

I'm looking to buy into a PT8 setup, and I'm stuck between choosing a second hand original Mbox or a brand new Mbox2 mini.

My main reasons for considering the original mbox is that the mbox2 minis don't have balanced outs or spdif - the former more important for me than the latter. Is this a valid reason for going with the older (possibly less supported in the future) interface, or would the newer mbox2 provide a better overall sound, unbalanced or otherwise. I don't intend to do much recording through the device, so differences in pre-amps aren't terribly important to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

albee1952 01-16-2009 10:15 AM

Re: Second hand original Mbox vs new Mbox 2 Mini

Balanced outs are a plus IMHO and the old Mbox has 2 mic pre's which might come in handy for recording vocal and acoustic or a 2 mic acoustic setp. SPDIF certainly is a plus for some users. Sounds to me like you already answered your own question.

ElectricGhost 01-16-2009 10:22 AM

Just remember that the old mbox has not got as low buffer settings as the newer ones. And I stopped using mine because it didnt work too great with my 2.4ghz macbook pro!I upgraded to an mbox 2 and all my problems went away!

tonepad 01-16-2009 12:20 PM

The original MB sounded like crap! Though I'm not a big fan of USB audio I have owned an MB2 and still own MB2 Mini & Micro. All of them sound pretty dang good given the limitations of USB. It's a no brainer.

studiojimi 05-05-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by east (Post 1336479)
I don't intend to do much recording through the device, so differences in pre-amps aren't terribly important to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How can we help you

if you don't tell us what you are going to use the device for?

Igotsoul4u 05-05-2009 03:36 PM

The original mbox sounds 50% worse then the new one. Never buy old stuff in a digital world IMO.

trauha 05-09-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u (Post 1393837)
The original mbox sounds 50% worse then the new one. Never buy old stuff in a digital world IMO.

I agree! The original MBox is only half as bad as the new one.

Craig F 05-09-2012 04:31 PM

also the v1 wont works past 8.0.1
it's a door stop