Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Well, it's finally happening..... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=283521)

mikevarela 10-05-2010 09:20 PM

Well, it's finally happening.....

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTNativeCore/

snake doc 10-05-2010 09:23 PM

Re: Well, it's finally happening.....

just looks like the HD core card to me.. nothing new.

garnoil 10-05-2010 09:42 PM

May be I am missing the point but I just don't get it. What is so "native" about a system that still requires to purchase a special card (the HD PCIe native card which is made by Avid) and then to get any inputs one must also purchase any of the special i/o boxes (also available only from Avid)? If is it "native" because the computer now processes all the plugins including the TDM? if this is the case, then what does this new "native" card do?

Why is this "native" better or worse than a PCI-e accel? I have a PCI-e HD2 and I push it to the limit. I use all the available voices + use all the TDM capabilities + use extensive RTAS + I run 1980X1080 video on the balckmagic. Can this native do the same?

nst7 10-05-2010 10:02 PM

The card is basically just a way to connect the HD interfaces. I don't think it does any processing. The whole point of this is that you get potentially the track count performance of an HD2 or HD3 for about half the price of an HD1, assuming your computer can handle it, plus as much plugin processing as it can handle. And it will have all the features included in HD software such as delay compensation, vca, post production features, etc. And the ability to have more I/O.

But the normal HD systems will still have advantages of TDM processing, such as the stability and guarantee of how many tracks/voices, the ability to use TDM plugs, tracking with plugs, etc. Which is why for some situations, even an HD1 would still be desirable over this for some peoples needs.

Dism 10-05-2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnoil (Post 1677422)
May be I am missing the point but I just don't get it. What is so "native" about a system that still requires to purchase a special card (the HD PCIe native card which is made by Avid) and then to get any inputs one must also purchase any of the special i/o boxes (also available only from Avid)? If is it "native" because the computer now processes all the plugins including the TDM? if this is the case, then what does this new "native" card do?

Why is this "native" better or worse than a PCI-e accel? I have a PCI-e HD2 and I push it to the limit. I use all the available voices + use all the TDM capabilities + use extensive RTAS + I run 1980X1080 video on the balckmagic. Can this native do the same?

Native is for higher end computers. It won't do much on a G5, but on a Mac Pro it will scream. This blows away HD1&2 in terms of voice count and I/O. The only thing missing is TDM, which isn't a big deal for those of us who are coming up from LE/M-P.

Bearing in mind... it's not meant to be competition for the TDM systems. It's a mid level solution for those who want HD features without the HD (over)price. At least, until the new TDM cards come out, and make HD3 look obsolete. ;)

Benoni 10-05-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikevarela (Post 1677409)

cool. thanks for the info.

tom_lowe 10-06-2010 05:13 AM

it's expensive for what is effectively a glorified Firewire IO Card! ExpressCard soon hopefully.

Pro Tools 9 too with all fixes and new features as requested!?

quadraphonics 10-06-2010 07:23 AM

I have to say that it is kind of funny that this level of functionality (being Native and not restricted to TDM) has been requested for years. When it finally shows up, the majority of the posts (here and elsewhere) are passive if not down right insulting to the prospect.

I personally think this is a great thing and will find a use in my facility.

Randall

Dism 10-06-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadraphonics (Post 1677597)
I have to say that it is kind of funny that this level of functionality (being Native and not restricted to TDM) has been requested for years. When it finally shows up, the majority of the posts (here and elsewhere) are passive if not down right insulting to the prospect.

I personally think this is a great thing and will find a use in my facility.

Randall

The passivity is coming from those who don't really understand what this is a step towards, or were expecting this to be a $500 solution.

It is a great thing, and a sign of things to come. ;)

reichman 10-06-2010 08:47 AM

YES!!!! (Cheering in the streets, screaming from rooftops)

Avid finally got it right! The $6k Core+OMNI I/O was made for ME!

Cheers to the future of Pro Tools. This is what I've been needing since 2008!!!