Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   PT8 on a 64 bit system? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=268974)

bobbytouche 03-09-2010 11:40 AM

PT8 on a 64 bit system?

I've combed through the forums here and a few people have mentioned this question. Though I can't seem to make any sense of it.

I've been running PT8 on my mac and everything is groovy, but I want a dedicated system for my studio. However it seems that all new PC's are 64-bit.

I haven't found any evidence of an upgrade that would help PT8 to run on a 64-bit and I understand that rewriting the code for such an upgrade will probably take some time.

So here's my question... On a 64-bit system, can I install the 32-bit version of Windows 7 and get the desired result?

YoRugMan 03-09-2010 11:48 AM

Re: PT8 on a 64 bit system?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbytouche (Post 1569005)
I haven't found any evidence of an upgrade that would help PT8 to run on a 64-bit and I understand that rewriting the code for such an upgrade will probably take some time.

Be patient - it's coming.
But the next update from Digi will most likely just have 64bit compatibility - not actually be 64bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbytouche (Post 1569005)
On a 64-bit system, can I install the 32-bit version of Windows 7 and get the desired result?

To answer this - yes, you can install W7 32bit - but PT is not yet fully supported on W7 32 or 64bit - it's currently in Beta.

bobbytouche 03-09-2010 12:06 PM

Have you or anyone else had any experience with the W7 beta?

Thanks for the info btw.

YoRugMan 03-09-2010 12:14 PM

I have, and had PT 8.0.3 working fine on W7 64bit - but I've decided to uninstall PT altogether while I wait for Digi's next update, because I don't want any crashes during work on a session, so I'm using other music-making tools while I wait.

Have you read through the "official unofficial windows 7 thread" thread in the LE forum?
Should pick up a lot of tips there - especially from Tom(@METRO).

I will point out though - most people have reverted back to Windows XP and using PT 8.0.1cs1 while they wait for the next Digi update.

bobbytouche 03-09-2010 12:39 PM

Yeah, using XP in the meantime seems like the ultimate solution. It sounds like that would allow me to get a great new system and have it ready for the 64-bit compatibility updates.

YoRugMan 03-09-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbytouche (Post 1569050)
Yeah, using XP in the meantime seems like the ultimate solution. It sounds like that would allow me to get a great new system and have it ready for the 64-bit compatibility updates.

This is absolutely the best thing to do right now.

You can go ahead and build yourself a great system that XP with PT 8.0.1cs1 would run very nicely on.
And this system would of course be ready for W7 64bit with PT 8.?.? when it's released.

Best of luck!

kafka 03-09-2010 03:51 PM

I've been running PT8.0.3cs1 on Win7-64 for about a month now, and I couldn't be happier. It's not quite as stable as on XP, but it hasn't been a significant issue.

There are certain operations that I'll habitually do a save before performing, such as loading new plugins, just to be sure I don't lose anything. But, there hasn't been, for instance, any type of a glitch that would cause it to crap out during a recording or otherwise lose a performance.

YoRugMan 03-09-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kafka (Post 1569162)
I've been running PT8.0.3cs1 on Win7-64 for about a month now, and I couldn't be happier. It's not quite as stable as on XP, but it hasn't been a significant issue.

There are certain operations that I'll habitually do a save before performing, such as loading new plugins, just to be sure I don't lose anything. But, there hasn't been, for instance, any type of a glitch that would cause it to crap out during a recording or otherwise lose a performance.

^one of the lucky ones. :-)

bobbytouche 03-10-2010 10:19 AM

Now, as a Mac user, I do have the urge to want to stay on that platform and have been looking into the Mac Mini (for cost efficiency, as it's the same price as the PC I'm interested in) and though it has lower ram than the PC I've been looking at I can't say it's not a bad idea. Any ideas?

YoRugMan 03-10-2010 11:58 AM

Well, others will disagree with me when I say this but I do believe the MAC platform has less issues even now than Windows does - when it comes to music creation.

MAC has always been regarded as the better choice for doing anything musical - but I am still hoping that Windows 7 turns out to be the destroyer of that assumption.