Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Laurel or Yanny? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=399259)

DonaldM 05-17-2018 06:49 PM

Laurel or Yanny?

I suspect that most of you have heard of the new internet controversy on this. So, I thought since most of us here are fairly good all things audio we should give it whirl. So, what do you hear? Yanny or Laurel?

I want to run different versions of this through a couple freq analyzers and see what they look like.

And for the record: its Laurel. :p

jryser 05-17-2018 06:54 PM

Re: Laurel or Yanny?

Surprisingly I can hear both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amagras 05-17-2018 08:08 PM

Because it's both, someone simply split both words across the spectrum and synced them with vocalign.

DonaldM 05-18-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2488648)
Because it's both, someone simply split both words across the spectrum and synced them with vocalign.

That not what’s been reported in the media. Do you know this for sure? I’d be interested in seeing info on that, if you have it.

amagras 05-18-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2488748)
That not what’s been reported in the media. Do you know this for sure? I’d be interested in seeing info on that, if you have it.

That's what I hear. I've seen as many interpretations as YouTubers are in Google

DonaldM 05-18-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2488753)
That's what I hear. Everyone is reporting whatever they think it is.

Yeah, I know! I’m going to run some experiments with it

amagras 05-18-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2488754)

Looking forward to hear about what you find

amagras 05-19-2018 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2488754)

The original word comes from an online dictionary and it in fact says Laurel, the controversial version was captured though laptop speakers and probably with a cell phone. When you isolate the high frequencies you only hear the part of the vocal cords that take care of reproducing the upper half of the word which doesn't necessary mean is says Laurel completely.

I recorded the original word with my phone through my studio monitors and isolated the higher frecuencias and it doesn't sounds like Yanny at all which makes me think that the controversial recording was made with a low quality mic that added a bunch of harmonics or was altered in other way. I'll try lowering the bit depth next. It is good material for a YouTube video

Top Jimmy 05-19-2018 09:43 AM

I had to play with pitch shifting to hear the yanny part. Pitching down, I discovered I could hear it so I concluded it was the breathy part of the speech that leant itself to yanny. Either that's the nature of whomever was recorded, or someone recorded a whisper and overlaid it with laurel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

amagras 05-19-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 2488806)
I concluded it was the breathy part of the speech that leant itself to yanny.

You nailed it! I just made this video comparing the original audio versus the internet version and isolated the parts with EQ3, the level of the high frequencies was raised on the second one, probably because of the way it was recorded (a cellphone in front of laptop or computer speakers)
https://youtu.be/yOIyaUAPWSo