Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Monitoring while recording with native plugins in HD (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=361633)

adrianrobison 12-08-2014 03:15 AM

Monitoring while recording with native plugins in HD

Hey guys, just figured something out and thought I'd share. Pro Tools disables native plugins while monitoring when you are recording. I just found a workaround for this that maybe people know but maybe people don't know, hence why I'm sharing.

I went the longest time just assuming that I couldn't use plugins while I record (native at least). I used to get the monitoring to work by bussing the track to an aux and slapping the plugins on the aux. Turns out there is an even easier way to do it:

All you have to do is enable a DSP plugin first in the chain, then any native plugin after the first DSP plugin will work just fine. So dumb that this is even a discussion because it SHOULD work with or without this trick but it just doesn't. What I do is just put an Avid "EQ-III 1-band" DSP plugin on the first track with nothing enabled and then follow it with any chain of plugins that I like.

Hope this helps!
-Adrian

Drew Mazurek 12-08-2014 06:11 AM

Re: Monitoring while recording with native plugins in HD

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrianrobison (Post 2210290)
Hope this helps!
-Adrian

Thanks Adrian. This is a well known (among TDM/DSP users) "trick" that's been around for years but it's good for it to come up every now and then for new users.

Keep in mind that you will be inducing a delay that's TWICE the buffer setting since the signal leaves DSP-land and comes back.

nerd513 12-08-2014 04:39 PM

it will technically work but i dont know about just fine. the latency will be absolutely horrible. using the proper tool like a TDM plug in is the only real solution

Barry Johns 12-08-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerd513 (Post 2210539)
it will technically work but i dont know about just fine. the latency will be absolutely horrible. using the proper tool like a TDM plug in is the only real solution

Correct, it does work, but can lead to other issues quickly if done too much, or in combination with the wrong plugins.

Something I do is convert TDM plugins to RTAS when I've finished tracking. My final mixes don't have very many TDM plugins on them, except for Aux's which we all would expect.

nerd513 12-09-2014 07:37 AM

why would u use rtas instead of TDM. its just gonna make ur delay comp number skyrocket.

adrianrobison 12-09-2014 09:58 AM

Thanks guys! Yea I'm a new HD user so this is all great information to have. Thanks so much.

Barry Johns 12-09-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerd513 (Post 2210701)
why would u use rtas instead of TDM. its just gonna make ur delay comp number skyrocket.

Not for the majority of plugs. Most Waves plugins have very little if any latency. I got used to this workflow when I only had an HD2, I could get away from doing it now with my HD3.

nerd513 12-09-2014 11:18 AM

suit urself but there really is no reason to use a rtas plug in unless u dont have the TDM version or are running low on chips.

Barry Johns 12-09-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerd513 (Post 2210776)
suit urself but there really is no reason to use a rtas plug in unless u dont have the TDM version or are running low on chips.

You obviously don't have any experience with a TDM system as you would have never made that statement.

nerd513 12-09-2014 08:41 PM

i have plenty of experience actually years of it. I have no idea why u would put strain on ur computer for no good reason though? why would u have HD3 if ur not gonna use the chips? thats what they are for