Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   7.2 and XP Security Updates? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=177695)

Ken P 09-22-2006 11:56 AM

7.2 and XP Security Updates?

our IT dept is trying to repair problems with our netowork and my PT computer along with a few others apparently haven't had security updates in quite a long time. I am kind of between a rock and a hard place - they are here now wanting to run like 40 or 50 needed security updates for XP on my machine, and i have to be connected to our network to share files with the editors here, but i am always afraid of XP updates of any kind messing with the stability of my machine. it took me 2 years to be stable, i don't want to screw it up now

can anyone tell me if i am just being paranoid? is it ok to let these guys come in and run XP security updates with me running 7.2 on mu PC? on this particular machine, there is nothing but PT on it. i have a 2nd computer with a kvm switch that handles email, internet searching, etc...

Kryst 09-22-2006 01:17 PM

Re: 7.2 and XP Security Updates?

It should probably be alright. After all, new Pro Tools versions are built to work with the latest technology they can possibly get up to. Hence when Tiger came out for OS X, they stopped making anything for Panther. XP isn't like that, they don't change your setup completely with each update

Ken P 09-22-2006 02:59 PM

Quote:

It should probably be alright. After all, new Pro Tools versions are built to work with the latest technology they can possibly get up to. Hence when Tiger came out for OS X, they stopped making anything for Panther. XP isn't like that, they don't change your setup completely with each update

i imagine 7.2 was designed for the most current XP config, updates and all. do you or anyone else think i should setup some sort of "restore" point of where i am at now, i.e. ghost my system drive or equiv. before i do the updates or again is that just pure paranoia? since we are talking only the priority security updates, and not like a major service pack update, i am starting to feel like i should be ok. if someone out there had a bad experience i am hoping yee will come forth... i am already envisioning the updates all in place and one big access violation after another all day on monday. hoping it is just in my head

Kryst 09-22-2006 03:42 PM

Quote:

do you or anyone else think i should setup some sort of "restore" point of where i am at now, i.e. ghost my system drive or equiv. before i do the updates or again is that just pure paranoia?

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you" - Robert Comeau, my close friend for years.

Yea, make a back up, definitely. If anything DOES go wrong, you'll be much safer.

Ken P 09-22-2006 07:02 PM

excellent advice. i will use one of my spare audio drives as a clone-to and play it safe. This IT guy is at least being understanding about my being reluctant, not like the others used to be..."ah whaddya mean, just use a dell and be done with it". yea, been down that tunnel of terror, thanks for being so gracious and giving me the client services computer. thank god someone finally came along and gave me a decent machine! at least this new guy held off on the updates so that gives me time to ghost my c drive monday morning. thanks for the info!

BIG D 09-24-2006 09:20 AM

Hi Ken,

Just to help I hope. My machine, (although a No No) is always online recieving updates and have had no issues. Running 7.2 now with all current Security updates. But that said, Back up to be sure.

Best

Big D