Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Finally Bought UAD-2 - which three plugs to choose? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=403406)

noah330 02-14-2019 07:58 AM

Finally Bought UAD-2 - which three plugs to choose?

Years ago when Mackie distributed the UAD-1 I had one. Long story short I sold it when my new machine didn't have PCI.

So they're doing a promotion where you get Neve, API, SSL and 600 series plugs free so I took the plunge.

I can choose three free plugs with the bundle I bought. I really want the A-800 and/or the Ampex (I'm going to AB them and decide) what other plugs would you choose? I'm thinking of grabbing the more expensive ones that I think I'll want asn freebies.

crizdee 02-14-2019 11:10 AM

Re: Finally Bought UAD-2 - which three plugs to choose?

Quote:

Originally Posted by noah330 (Post 2516494)
Years ago when Mackie distributed the UAD-1 I had one. Long story short I sold it when my new machine didn't have PCI.

So they're doing a promotion where you get Neve, API, SSL and 600 series plugs free so I took the plunge.

I can choose three free plugs with the bundle I bought. I really want the A-800 and/or the Ampex (I'm going to AB them and decide) what other plugs would you choose? I'm thinking of grabbing the more expensive ones that I think I'll want asn freebies.

Hi,

Good luck choosing just 3:D

1176 classic limiter collection is a must ...(The whole analogue classics bundle is on offer right now @ about 1/5 normal price and includes all the greats)

All reverbs especially the Lexicons are the best
The tape emulations are the best
Ocean way studios is awesome
The Manley stuff is awesome

You're going to have to demo and find what you like the best

Chris

the19thbear 02-14-2019 12:35 PM

For me:
Akg bx20. Amazing 60s reverb. Really.
Fairchild comp
Galaxy tape echo.
I just sold my uad stuff and the akg is the one I really miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

appledude 02-14-2019 03:03 PM

API neve 1073 and SSL

Stephen Bond 02-14-2019 11:53 PM

I'd get the plugins which are unique to UAD, like the AKG spring, Dytronics chorus, MXR Flanger etc.

I'd avoid getting plugins which you can buy much cheaper natively like many of the Plugin Alliance/Brainworx offerings, the Eventide Harmoniser, Softube Dynamite and such.

All that said, you might want to consider bread and butter plugins you might use all the time? The newer blue stripe 1176 sounds good to my ears.

Stephen

Southsidemusic 02-14-2019 11:58 PM

If I only had 3 plugins I would choose atleast 2 Unison ones like API CS and maybe a SSL4000 CS as they sound fantastic and maybe the Studer 800!

chrisdee 02-15-2019 02:16 AM

I would get the 1073.

Southsidemusic 02-15-2019 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisdee (Post 2516607)
I would get the 1073.

For sure but that plugin is like 70% less than the more expensive ones so even though 1073 is a must I would rather buy it afterwards for less money.

PS. are my eyes screwing me over or Is there one chrisdee and one crizdee here ?!! Never noticed this before :D

Stephen Bond 02-15-2019 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2516608)
For sure but that plugin is like 70% less than the more expensive ones so even though 1073 is a must I would rather buy it afterwards for less money.

Agreed. I was going to mention that.

Go for the expensive plugins with your three and maximise your bang for $$$.

Stephen

UniversalAudio 02-15-2019 05:38 AM

I think the Ampex 102 is a must. It's on the stereo buss of EVERY mix.

Studer on individual channels or groups might also be considered a must.

These two plugs alone make a HUGE difference in a mix, often making it so you need less EQ/Dyn in general. It's amazing how much of ITB mixing is spent trying to recreate what analog has always done for us naturally.

The Helios channelstrip is another standout and one of our top selling plugins.

The new 480 is blowing people's minds.

Whatever you choose, you're going to love them!! Congrats!