Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Input Monitoring No Sound (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=369506)

Dman.2 07-05-2015 08:30 PM

Input Monitoring No Sound

PT 12.1 was working fine for me early today, then at some point, Input Monitoring stopped working. I could hear just fine before starting playback or recording, but as soon as I would hit play or try to record, there was no sound on the track I was trying to practice/record on. After much fiddling around, I realized that if I turned the button that says 'dyn/off' to off on a previously recorded audio track, then I could monitor while playing back.

This made no sense to me. I have never seen this behavior before and it made trying to play along with the track impossible as the track was now muted. It would also work if I disabled the previously recorded track.

I started a new session, added two audio tracks. I recorded a small bit of audio on the first track, then tried to add something on the second. Same story. No sound as soon as I hit play on the new track. I tried all combinations of having the record and input monitoring buttons on or off, no go. This is some weird behavior and I would greatly appreciate any help or input thanks.

Dman.2 07-05-2015 11:21 PM

Re: Input Monitoring No Sound

So, turning off Low Latency Monitoring also fixes the problem. But it was working fine with it on before...

mhellerofficial 07-06-2015 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman.2 (Post 2274689)
So, turning off Low Latency Monitoring also fixes the problem. But it was working fine with it on before...

I have the same bug since 12.0 ,12.1, sometimes it works again when you set the Tracks Output to "No Output" then back to your Monitors Out, then enable record again, that helps often here.

I don#t know man,I reported this since day 1.. I had PT12 to the support team, but they couldn't help me.. I sent them all Infos I have on my system and so, thought they find the problem but in 12.1 its still the same bug, very hard to work with PT this way for me.

Are you also on a HD Native card?

midnightrambler 07-06-2015 08:22 AM

I don't think this is particular to HD12, I've definitely had it on previous versions. It's v intermittent on mine and I've just put it down to "one of those things" that'll never get properly sorted, and generally always end up turning "Low Latency" off. (HD Native card)

Dman.2 07-06-2015 12:05 PM

I'm just running standard PT, not HD. Eleven Rack is my I/O, and sound card.:eek:

Top Jimmy 07-06-2015 01:25 PM

Input Monitoring No Sound

This sounds similar to something reported by another user two weeks ago.http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=369184

The common item in your reports so far is that everyone who has reported this is using an Avid interface. As far as I understand it, when using low-latency monitoring with an Avid interface, Pro Tools is supposed to open the low-latency path in the interface driver when the track is set to input monitor or record enabled. If this is not happening reliably, we need steps to reproduce before it can be kicked up as a bug. If anyone discovers how to make this happen, post it here and I'll report it.

Dman.2 07-06-2015 01:56 PM

Well thanks for the reply. I checked out the other thread and I will try some of the things mentioned there. I'm not exactly sure what you mean in terms of recreating the problem. It's pretty straightforward in terms of what I'm doing and what is happening. If you mean you need some kind of system report that's something else I suppose. I don't know how to do that off hand. My other major issue, is the seemingly random spiking of the performance monitor. Don't know if these two issues are related but my monitor will spike to 100% CPU usage with next to nothing (or nothing) even running. IE; no tracks, no plugs etc.

Core i7 3930k-water cooled
32gb RAM @ 1600 mhz
250gb SSD system drive
2TB 7200 HDD
2 GTX 760 in SLI
Windows 7 pro 64bit

Kanosan 11-18-2015 05:46 AM

Same issue here. Using the latest drivers for mbox pro on 12.3.0. LLM is not working properly. No output detected when in this mode. Have tried in record and input mode, makes no difference. Disabling host control in control panel is not a work around either.

midnightrambler 12-08-2015 08:06 AM

This has been driving me a bit nuts today. v12.3.1 / OS El Crapitan / HD Native

Sometimes the input sounds, sometimes it doesn't. If you flick between different tracks, ones with the same input selected, some of them will monitor the input, some of them won't. This might have something to do with importing tracks from another session (input monitoring gets mucked up in i/O settings maybe?) but there doesn't seem to be any consistency and it's not something I've managed to get to the bottom of yet.

Also I was using punching in/out on a track earlier and the track would stay in "input" even after dropping out of record, despite not having input monitoring on. Again I haven't had time yet to try and create a reproducible scenario as yet.

paul120 12-09-2015 12:34 PM

I have had the same problem on and off since upgrading to Pro Tools 12.2.1 (before I had 7.3). I have Windows 7 and use the Digi 002 modified by Black Lion Audio with their signature mod. It works fine when I start a fresh session as long as no cd's are in my drive, and no usb ports are being used for power for anything. Once you get more tracks and start to use plugins what I have found out for example is if you use a plugin on the master fader like Maxium LLM will not work. But if I make that plugin inactive it will take care of it most of the time as well as other plugins.

One funny way of getting it to work again if it still won't work is go to a track that you used LLM and it worked previously. Enable LLM ( on the previously recorded track that LLM worked) and hit record on the selected track and It will work on this track. Now go to the new track while LLM is engaged and it record, not it will work.

It is like having a ghost in the machine. Once I go through these few things I always get it working again.