Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Important equipment - real important (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=273904)

netnoggin 05-12-2010 02:04 PM

Important equipment - real important

I know how we talk about how gear is just a tool, and the engineer's talent is the thing, etc. Here's a site that takes a slightly different view:

Burns Station Sound Recording

There's no doubt some serious work has been done using that board, as evidenced by the listing. But I don't know if I would go so far as to say things like "Some of the Board's early achievements". Give the poor human some credit!

TOM@METRO 05-12-2010 02:53 PM

Re: Important equipment - real important

It's all in the marketing. :D

albee1952 05-12-2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 1607651)
It's all in the marketing. :D

Indeed! Did those artist have hits because of that board, or were the artists simply great(having worked with many of them, I'd say the latter):rolleyes:

netnoggin 05-13-2010 02:49 AM

I guess it's fair to use equipment's brushes with fame to illustrate that it's not a limiting factor.

I used to know a guy that had an MCI 16 track machine owned by ZZ Top and used (reportedly) to record one of their albums. But his approach wasn't "this machine will make you sound good because", it was more like "this machine didn't get in the way of them sounding good, so it shouldn't stop you".

Carl Kolchak 05-13-2010 06:51 AM

I hope some kid doesn't break in and steal their board!

If that happens, all of their clients will ditch them and follow the board to its new home in "Mom's Basement" :eek:.

netnoggin 05-13-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak (Post 1607877)
I hope some kid doesn't break in and steal their board!

If that happens, all of their clients will ditch them and follow the board to its new home in "Mom's Basement" :eek:.

LOL :D:D

And when it finally quits working, will the artists have to retire? :eek::eek:

O.G. Killa 05-13-2010 01:41 PM

and more importantly, I wouldn't necessarily consider any of the artists listed as being on the cutting edge of fidelity for their time or anything. It's not like Zepplin recorded IV on that thing or the beatles used it to make Sgt Peppers. None of those artists listed are even known for having remotely good sounding albums!!! hahahaha

If anything, they are saying, "look all of the mediocre mixes done for artists from the 40s-60s on this very 'board'. Now you too can have a mediocre sounding album just like all of these other artists!" LOL

And what is up with calling it an "audio board" and "the board". LOL

netnoggin 05-13-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.G. Killa (Post 1608093)
If anything, they are saying, "look all of the mediocre mixes done for artists from the 40s-60s on this very 'board'. Now you too can have a mediocre sounding album just like all of these other artists!" LOL

Swap mediocre with "vintage" or "classic" and I think I've actually seen your words in some ad somewhere. :eek::eek:

John_Toolbox 05-13-2010 04:35 PM

I have such a hard time understanding how people think that "vintage" gear is going to be a selling point in a recording project. I don't have a problem with vintage gear itself, I just don't think it is what I'd base my decision on where I'm going to record on. There is a certain minimum level of quality the gear needs to be to be usable, but it is and always will be the skill of the person operating the gear that will define the quality of the final sound. And really, anyone with that level of skill will have at least the bare minimum equipment to get the job done, so it is entirely about the engineer, not the gear.

netnoggin 05-13-2010 05:23 PM

It's talent knows no bounds-
Quote:

Aretha Franklin's dynamic voice turned to gold as "The Board" produced two of her best selling hits
At least Rick got partial billing in spots:
Quote:

The year's work earned Hall and his famous recording board the honor of being selected Billboard's Producer of the Year for the world in 1971.
I wonder if maybe there's an underbelly to the story of The Board....

Too much fame too quick began to take its toll on The Board, as the occasional joint with Willie between sessions gradually turned into all-night drinking binges and orgies. The Board's work soon began to suffer. Soon The Board was finding it difficult to maintain workflow, and became verbally abusive with clients. During one infamous session with Mel Tillis, The Board abruptly shut down, screaming through the talkback "G#* d*$^&it, do you know who I am!?! I can make or break you with one click of a mute button!!" It is believed that Mel was so permanently scarred by this scathing attack that he began his now famous stuttering.