Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   No sound through headphone jack (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=400062)

jpconques 07-04-2018 10:00 AM

No sound through headphone jack

I just got a new MSI GL62M laptop that I'm running Pro Tools 12 on through ASIO4ALL. When I plug in headphones all other audio goes to the headphones but Pro Tools/ASIO4ALL still goes through the laptop's internal speakers. Anybody have any idea why this might be? I'm stumped. Thanks.

DonaldM 07-05-2018 06:53 AM

Re: No sound through headphone jack

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpconques (Post 2493283)
I just got a new MSI GL62M laptop that I'm running Pro Tools 12 on through ASIO4ALL. When I plug in headphones all other audio goes to the headphones but Pro Tools/ASIO4ALL still goes through the laptop's internal speakers. Anybody have any idea why this might be? I'm stumped. Thanks.

Its been a while since I've used ASIO for all for anything, but don't you have to tell it where to route the audio output? Check the config screen which you should be able to access through PT. I believe there's an option to route to headphones.

jpconques 07-06-2018 11:28 AM

Well, I got it to work, sort of. My options in ASIO4ALL were either "Realtek HD audio output" which was what I had selected originally and was sending audio to the internal speakers, or "Realtek HDA SPDIF Out", which when selected and routed there through Pro Tools I/O setup sends the sound to the headphone out. Apparently the headphone jack on this computer is somehow both an analog headphone jack and a SPDIF out jack.
The problem I'm having is that the audio coming through the headphone jack stutters and stammers terribly regardless of the buffer size. I was able to run PT through A4A with no issues on my older and much less powerful ASUS laptop so this can't be an issue of processing power.
Any further hints would be much appreciated.

DonaldM 07-06-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpconques (Post 2493459)
Well, I got it to work, sort of. My options in ASIO4ALL were either "Realtek HD audio output" which was what I had selected originally and was sending audio to the internal speakers, or "Realtek HDA SPDIF Out", which when selected and routed there through Pro Tools I/O setup sends the sound to the headphone out. Apparently the headphone jack on this computer is somehow both an analog headphone jack and a SPDIF out jack.
The problem I'm having is that the audio coming through the headphone jack stutters and stammers terribly regardless of the buffer size. I was able to run PT through A4A with no issues on my older and much less powerful ASUS laptop so this can't be an issue of processing power.
Any further hints would be much appreciated.

Can you go into the Realtek settings and change the setting from S/PDif to Analog? I know that on Focusrite you can select "internal" or "S/Pdif" depending on sound source. If you have the wrong one, it will add some crackles and pops. You may need to do something similar here. I'm not sure if A4A will allow you to do that or not.

jpconques 07-06-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2493471)
Can you go into the Realtek settings and change the setting from S/PDif to Analog? I know that on Focusrite you can select "internal" or "S/Pdif" depending on sound source. If you have the wrong one, it will add some crackles and pops. You may need to do something similar here. I'm not sure if A4A will allow you to do that or not.

That's probably the issue but I can't figure out how to do that in the Realtek settings. On the right side of the window there are three choices, Analog, Internal and Digital. When you click on Internal or Digital they each have their own sub-menu of options. When you click on Analog it does nothing, as if Analog is disabled somehow.
I checked the BIOS and there are no settings there related to audio at all.
I'm still stumped.