Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   HELP with a RTAS Processor Question with 7.4 and a G5 2.5 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=401156)

session48 09-20-2018 07:52 AM

HELP with a RTAS Processor Question with 7.4 and a G5 2.5

Hello,

I have an old set-up: A 002rack with PT 7.4, a G5 2.5 running OS 10.4.9. The Mac is a M9457LLA (2005)

Looking at the RTAS processors in the Playback Engine in Pro Tools,it shows only 1 processor, with no option the select 2. I checked the "ABOUT THIS COMPUTER" on the G5 and it shows number of CPU's as 1. I always though it had two.

I've had the system so long, that the only thing I ever needed to change in the PT "Playback Engine" ,was the H/W Buffer Size and never really paid attention to the RTAS processor section in that window.

My question is: Should I have an option to select 2 processors with the G5 2.5 and 7.4? or did one of the CPU's go bad on the G5 and now both the G5 and PT 7.4 show only 1 processor?

Any info would be Greatly appreciated ! Thanks

crizdee 09-20-2018 05:27 PM

Re: HELP with a RTAS Processor Question with 7.4 and a G5 2.5

Quote:

Originally Posted by session48 (Post 2500401)
Hello,

I have an old set-up: A 002rack with PT 7.4, a G5 2.5 running OS 10.4.9. The Mac is a M9457LLA (2005)

Looking at the RTAS processors in the Playback Engine in Pro Tools,it shows only 1 processor, with no option the select 2. I checked the "ABOUT THIS COMPUTER" on the G5 and it shows number of CPU's as 1. I always though it had two.

I've had the system so long, that the only thing I ever needed to change in the PT "Playback Engine" ,was the H/W Buffer Size and never really paid attention to the RTAS processor section in that window.

My question is: Should I have an option to select 2 processors with the G5 2.5 and 7.4? or did one of the CPU's go bad on the G5 and now both the G5 and PT 7.4 show only 1 processor?

Any info would be Greatly appreciated ! Thanks

Hi,

Doubt it was a dual processor G5. probably a single processor? unless you're absolutely certain it was a dual. doubt it would fail on one processor and keep working ok.

If the mac system says its a single then its a single and PT will only see one processor.

Buy a 2009 12 core with 24 virtual processors :D

Chris

Darryl Ramm 09-20-2018 06:01 PM

That Mac was a dual processor. You can look up the specs on multiple sites like... https://everymac.com/systems/apple/p...g5_2.5_dp.html

Open up the case and see if both processor modules are installedi, you may want to try reseating the one not working if it is still there. The OSx system log may contain useful boot/diag failure info.

The host bridge architecture of the G5 means that processors can fail without taking out other components like memory.

session48 09-21-2018 08:21 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Apple said its NOT a Dual processor. I guess that's why Pro Tools only see's 1- RTAS Processor and it does show any other options

Quote:

It is dual core not dual processor. 2 cores on the same chip.
Dual Core machines are the new light for small business owners, as they are slightly cheaper and provide pretty much the same thing. The major drawback to Dual Core is it puts the stress of the entire system on one physical CPU, which can be pretty tasking for a little chip. However, a multi-core system has the ability to handle multiple threads separately yet simultaneously. This makes multi-core systems perfect for multi-threaded applications.

Darryl Ramm 09-21-2018 08:45 AM

You are getting yourself confused reading some irrelevant marketing waffle. Do not just read info about say "G5" and assumes that refers to your computer.The PowerPC 970fx CPU is a single core processor, with two of them inside the M9457 model you claim to have. Later variants of the G5 CPU used in other computers were dual-core, like the 970MP processor used in the M9590.

I gave you a link to an authoritative description of the computer you have. Did you open up your computer and look for two CPUs? Try reseating one? A CPU could have failed or easily have been removed at some stage (did you buy this used?).

And regardless of wether you have a dual CPU chip/single core or dual-core single CPU chip computer both would show up in the operating system and Pro Tools playback engine RTAS settings.

session48 09-21-2018 03:02 PM

Thanks for the help Darryl!

And you're right, I am definitely a little confused with the whole thing. I'm just trying to figure out if there's a problem with the G5. I purchased this computer new in 2005, the invoice shows a M9457LLA G5 Dual 2.5ghz. I did open the unit, but am a little nervous to mess with it.

So with this computer,Pro Tools should show 2-RTAS Processors in the Playback Engine Setting and on the computer it should show 2 CPU's in the "ABOUT THIS COMPUTER" on the G5.

Darryl Ramm 09-21-2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by session48 (Post 2500543)
Thanks for the help Darryl!

/snip/

So with this computer,Pro Tools should show 2-RTAS Processors in the Playback Engine Setting and on the computer it should show 2 CPU's in the "ABOUT THIS COMPUTER" on the G5.

Yes as I said, you should see two RTAS processors. As I've been saying three times now something is likely wrong with your computer. In the System Console system.log or diag panels in the Systems Report you may see a message about a CPU fail etc. But that's really not of use to you unless you were going to mess with he hardware. I would not know what to expect without looking though it all.

The CPUs in these Mac Pros are mounted in a large cooler assembly...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-Power...UAAOSwNOJbMYri

These systems had processors with bad thermal performance, that needed all that cooling. It's hard to see if a CPU chip is actually installed underneath the thermal spreader assembly.. but you probably could with a flashlight if the assembly was removed from the computer... but since you purchased new it will have both installed. I was more paranoid if say you had brought it used... somebody may have removed one.

...a whole assembly like that one advertised incldues both processors and is easier to replace as a whole than disassembling and trying to replace the actual CPU chips inside the assembly. But given what a G5 anything is worth you can just buy a whole used computer. Intel powered cheesegraters are much more powerful and you can pick them up at good prices as well.

I'd be extra paranoid with any older computer showing any issues.. like all the cooling fans running and good airflow and be sure to have backups. Just powering it off and it may not boot at all...