Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   What y’all think of my vocal tracking template (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=403512)

lucidlife 02-22-2019 01:44 PM

What y’all think of my vocal tracking template

Wonder what ya'll think of my vocal tracking template.

I have record 1,2 lead 1,2 hook1,2 ads 1,2 and in & out1,2. All with

R DE esser -- pro q2 -- r compressor --- auto tune on every channel. That all goes to my vocal bus with

R d esser -- tg12345 ---avid lofi --- rvox ---- bx mix eq --- cla vocals plugin.

Then 1/16, 1/8 delay, plate, hall, Widener sends.

Also have a vocal parele with pro q2-- cla 76 and a limiter.

amagras 02-22-2019 02:18 PM

Re: What y’all think of my vocal tracking template

Listing a bunch of names of plugins leaves a lot to the imagination. For example to me it sounds amazing because I can perfectly imagine how many things I would do with them! [emoji16]

lucidlife 02-22-2019 02:22 PM

Do you think it's too much?

amagras 02-22-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucidlife (Post 2517476)
Do you think it's too much?

I don't know, how bad is your tracking? [emoji6]
Seriously, a vocal chain (or any instrument really) for me is something that gets built based on the particular needs of the track, even with the same singer/instrument there are many factors such as key, tempo, style, arrangement that will be different thus making a single chain useless most times. I think your plugin choices are excellent but not all of them might be needed or you might need other tools that aren't in your template. I have a template too but most times I just ditch everything on the vocal tracks and start from 0 after listening to the raw track.
Cheers

xrekcor 05-24-2019 06:55 PM

^+1

I try and mic it right first time round and add seasoning later if and where needed a touch here and maybe a lashing there..... I never record anything with the view that I would be using certain plug's. the only chain I generally (but not always) keep the same is the Mastering Chain.

albee1952 05-27-2019 08:39 PM

I have record 1,2 lead 1,2 hook1,2 ads 1,2 and in & out1,2. All with

R DE esser -- pro q2 -- r compressor --- auto tune on every channel. That all goes to my vocal bus with

R d esser -- tg12345 ---avid lofi --- rvox ---- bx mix eq --- cla vocals plugin.

Just my opinions(so please take it that way):

#1-why do people track with Autotune? How is a singer supposed to control their pitch when a plugin is second-guessing them? Using it during a mix to correct pitch or create an effect? Now that makes sense to me:o

#2-2 de-essers? Are they NEEDED? If so, I would look at changing microphones, pop filters or mic positioning. I do pop/rock/country/latin and probably use a single de-esser about 25% of the time(and 2 of them once in a blue moon). Having said that, the wrong mic, wrong placement or bad singers can certainly require lots of help:rolleyes:

As for the rest, if it gives you the results you want, then it can't be bad:D Just don't get in a rut where you treat every vocal the same(when the song might need something quite different):D