Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Licensing & Accounts (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Pro Tools license cross platform? (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=375734)

astroturf 12-21-2015 11:28 AM

Pro Tools license cross platform?

Can I activate pro tools on a dualboot system, on both windows and mac using the same license. Or do I need to buy another instance?

ALSO If I get a perpetual and DONT sign up for updates, will I get the latest update at the time I buy (so 12.3 would be the latest I can ever stay on?)

These are the questions I must ask

mesaone 12-21-2015 11:41 AM

Re: Pro Tools license cross platform?

Yes, once it's activated you can use your iLok to authorize Pro Tools on any Windows or Mac you want.

Re: second question, I'm not sure.

astroturf 12-21-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesaone (Post 2321529)
Yes, once it's activated you can use your iLok to authorize Pro Tools on any Windows or Mac you want.

To clarify, at the same time on the same system right? I activate it twice will be no problem?

Southsidemusic 12-21-2015 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astroturf (Post 2321533)
To clarify, at the same time on the same system right? I activate it twice will be no problem?

No you can only use one computer at a time as the ilok has to be connected with the computer you are using, if you wanna run two at the same time you need two licenses and iloks.

astroturf 12-21-2015 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2321534)
No you can only use one computer at a time as the ilok has to be connected with the computer you are using, if you wanna run two at the same time you need two licenses and iloks.

Alright, Im not using 2 computers at the same time, Im dual booting on 1 system. Thats good to go? So both partitions can load pro tools if I decide which one to start up? Meaning only 1 OS will be running it at a time, but I ened to activate on both OS' if thats possible

Southsidemusic 12-21-2015 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astroturf (Post 2321535)
Alright, Im not using 2 computers at the same time, Im dual booting on 1 system. Thats good to go?

That I have no idea about, sorry.

I seriously doubt that works though as PT will see one ilok and if you have two PT up at the same time I don't think it will share the license between them at one time.

astroturf 12-21-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2321536)
if you have two PT up at the same time

But, thats not it. I wont be having them up at the same time. Dual booting means 2 os/s are on one sytem. Only ONE will be up at any given time, I choose one or the other to boot. I activate on Mac/OS, the nI activate on WINDOWS, but I can only choose one to boot at a time. Wondering if that works, i guess its getting a bit confusing, its a dual boot system, 1 system, 2 OS's, only one OS at a time if that makes sense

mesaone 12-21-2015 12:38 PM

yes, you're still good to go. You can even leave your iLok plugged in. When you boot to windows, the iLok will license your version of Pro Tools. When you boot to OSX, the iLok will license your version of Pro Tools. Take your iLok to a friend's house, your iLok will license your version of Pro Tools on his machine too.

astroturf 12-21-2015 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesaone (Post 2321541)
yes, you're still good to go. You can even leave your iLok plugged in. When you boot to windows, the iLok will license your version of Pro Tools. When you boot to OSX, the iLok will license your version of Pro Tools. Take your iLok to a friend's house, your iLok will license your version of Pro Tools on his machine too.

Thanks very much!

Now just to see if an avid rep can tell me about the perpetual thing, I will just restate again here for convenience: If I buy the perpetual license and choose to not subscribe, will I get to use the LATEST update AT THE TIME I bought it forever (so if I buy now, it would be 12.3 being the latest I can ever use) or am I restricted to the very first 12.0?

Southsidemusic 12-21-2015 12:56 PM

Re: Pro Tools license cross platforms

Quote:

Originally Posted by astroturf (Post 2321533)

Well you said this so i thought you meant at the same time :D