Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What would you replace your Mbox 3 with? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406531)

Will Russell 09-29-2019 11:57 AM

What would you replace your Mbox 3 with?

Hi,

Looks like it might be time to replace my beloved Mbox 3. What do y'all recommend for a 2x2 interface that sounds as good as the Mbox 3 did? Apogee Duet? RME Babyface Pro?

ps I just realized this is in the wrong forum category......

Meads 09-29-2019 12:01 PM

Re: What would you replace your Mbox 3 with?

I can vouch for the Babyface Pro. Their drivers and software are top notch, as are the preamps and converters.
Plus as bonus feature - your Mac keyboard volume up+down works with them if you use it as your output device. That can't be said for most other interfaces.

JFreak 09-29-2019 12:10 PM

Focusrite Clarett 2PRE

Darryl Ramm 09-29-2019 12:21 PM

... all good choices, I would add the UAD Apollo Twin to the list.

albee1952 09-29-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2539701)
... all good choices, I would add the UAD Apollo Twin to the list.

Another good choice, but this bears some extra info. IF(the big "IF") you want/need to track with UA plugins, Apollo is the ONLY good option. Every other brand of hardware will not allow tracking thru UA plugins because of latency(on my HD/Native rig, every UA plugin reported at least 1100+ samples of latency). Much as I love the sound of their stuff, I wasn't going to dump the HDN hardware(way too much investment):o Apollo is still a great choice for use without UA plugins while tracking(and that would allow you to work in PT's screen and not within the UA mixer screen). Just want you to understand the nuts and bolts of all this:D

Will Russell 09-29-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2539722)
......Just want you to understand the nuts and bolts of all this:D

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking the time for the heads up about the "complications" with UAD stuff. Thankfully I'm aware of what you warned me about and have so far avoided UAD stuff (despite their reputation for top quality plugins) because I want to live exclusively in ProTools world. (FYI- my primary rig is a full blown HDX rig)

The interface I'm looking for would be on my "B" rig which I record through occasionally but mostly use to provide quality conversion and output to my monitors and headphones. So recording latency is not a big concern for me with this interface.

I'm guessing it would be a waste to buy the Apollo interface if I had no intention of using UAD plugins?

Darryl Ramm 09-29-2019 05:17 PM

I would not consider the UAD interfaces a waste if you did not use their plugins. Although the temptation is always there... and UAD is not dumb.., that’s how they make money...

The Twin is very nice, just sounds nice. They have pretty good drivers and seem to provide good support. And in a larger setup the twin can be chained with larger Apollo’s and act as a monitor controller ... a feature I really like.

There are lots of great interfaces in that ~$1k - few $k.

And since you mentioned mostly playback and headphones. I will mention my favorite small ‘playback only’ interface... a Grace m920. Just sounds great. Sadly discontinued, the headphone crossfeed Esp. on that made it a nice flexible box for me.

sdelsolray 10-04-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Russell (Post 2539696)
Hi,

Looks like it might be time to replace my beloved Mbox 3. What do y'all recommend for a 2x2 interface that sounds as good as the Mbox 3 did? Apogee Duet? RME Babyface Pro?

ps I just realized this is in the wrong forum category......

Apogee Element 24 or Element 46. Excellent product. Superb software. Reasonably priced.

Will Russell 10-04-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdelsolray (Post 2540350)
Apogee Element 24 or Element 46. Excellent product. Superb software. Reasonably priced.

That Apogee looks amazing but I need a physical knob which is another $200. Also way more function than I need.

albee1952 10-05-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Russell (Post 2540356)
That Apogee looks amazing but I need a physical knob which is another $200. Also way more function than I need.

Those smaller Apollo units are still worth a long look:o. Also, RME has been one of the best for solid drivers(and their audio quality is up there with the best):-)