Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Fader levels and control surfaces (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=413329)

ziggy2282 12-22-2020 02:39 PM

Fader levels and control surfaces

1. When using the Avid Control app in the Mixer view, the fader value in the Mixer view does not show decimal values. For example, if the fader value in Pro Tools is 12.5, Avid Control displays 12. Is there a way to force the Avid Control mixer view to always show decimals?

2. When sliding the fader in the Avid Control app, the value adjust by 0.4-0.5 increments, but it's not consistent. In Pro Tools, I can use a modifier key to increment the fader values by 0.1. When using a modifier key with the Avid Control app, faders still adjust the value by a random amount. Is there a way to refine the fader adjustments in the Avid Control app?

3. I am considering an Avid S3, but have been told by sales rep that the surface only displays the fader value when the fader is touched. Is there a way to persistently show the fader value and track name instead of switching between the two? I currently have a C|24 and am able to display track name on one line and fader value on another line simultaneously. I would much rather see fader value than pan information.

Thanks!

albee1952 12-22-2020 03:40 PM

Re: Fader levels and control surfaces

1&2-the faders on a tablet or iPad don't have the resolution for accurate adjustment. Trying to mix on those is going to be an exercise in frustration.

3-just my opinion(and feel free to ignore it:D) but I think you are using your eyes too much, and you ears not enough.(I know folks that will turn off or cover their screens so they don't fall into this trap):o

Beyond that, to make minor adjustments, it might be faster to either show volume on the track and drag the volume line up or down(using the Ctrl key for "fine"mode). If you grab the line past the end of the song, you can drag the entire line(start to finish) and keep any automation moves intact. Or opening the last plugin on the track and tweaking the output level:o

Ben Jenssen 12-22-2020 04:41 PM

I only recently got Avid Control for my iPad, and I picked up a tip about no.2 here on DUC. To get fine control on faders, you touch a finger on the meter - and the other finger on the fader will move in small increments. Seems a bit strange, and maybe I didn't get it quite right, but it works. Must be covered in a user guide.

Thanks to whomever I picked it up from.

reichman 12-22-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:

3. I am considering an Avid S3, but have been told by sales rep that the surface only displays the fader value when the fader is touched. Is there a way to persistently show the fader value and track name instead of switching between the two? I currently have a C|24 and am able to display track name on one line and fader value on another line simultaneously. I would much rather see fader value than pan information.
On the S3, you can get as much as five seconds of fader db value to persist on the screen after touch. But I mix a lot and actually have the S3 set to display the number only when touched and to turn off instantly on release. Not sure seeing those numbers helps my mixing at all, to be honest.

Rich Breen 12-23-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2588207)
...3-just my opinion(and feel free to ignore it:D) but I think you are using your eyes too much, and you ears not enough.(I know folks that will turn off or cover their screens so they don't fall into this trap):o

Please keep in mind there are lots of different use-cases - dismissing someone else's user experience is not productive.

I've been mixing on every conceivable platform for decades and this to me is the single largest annoyance on the new Avid platforms (S6, S4, S3, S1): no constant display of fader values and no display of sub-dB increments on faders below -10dB (why does precision suddenly become less important if the fader happens to be at -15??). Amongst other things I often need to be able to quickly scan the surface to see where faders are at wrt trim / current levels - and believe me, I'm using my ears too. If the tablets running Avid Control as meters on the S1s would display fader values the problem would be solved. To dismiss the importance of visual feedback is not helpful - why not just get rid of all the analysis tools we have then? Loudness meters, phase meters, spectral displays - all invaluable aids to our work.

albee1952 12-23-2020 11:03 AM

Not dismissing anything. Just offering something to think about:D

EddieJones 12-23-2020 12:43 PM

1. Yes, we are looking at making the fader display finer.
2. As someone else posted touch the fader and then with a second finger touch and hold anywhere near the meter for fine mode.
3. Depending on the 5 Fader Value display settings you get up to 5 seconds after you let go of the fader. There isn't a mode where it always displays the values...It would be hard to know what track you were about to move if there were no names.

Rich Breen 12-24-2020 09:49 AM

Thanks for the reply Eddie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieJones (Post 2588289)
1. Yes, we are looking at making the fader display finer.

That's good to know and would be a welcome improvement!

Quote:

3. Depending on the 5 Fader Value display settings you get up to 5 seconds after you let go of the fader. There isn't a mode where it always displays the values...It would be hard to know what track you were about to move if there were no names.
Yes, do know about the persistence settings. Understood that you can't have the current fader level display co-exist with fader names - unfortunate since the C24s and D-Command/Control were able to do this with their old-tech scribble strips, but they didn't need to also display pan/sends/etc. Like I said, if the tablets in "meter" mode (i.e. when they're paired to the S1s/S3) could also display fader/trim levels the problem would be solved.

Having to interrogate the fader by touching it is a bit awkward, and what if it's 20 faders that I want to look at? Kind of awkward. I mean, I can always look at the edit screen, but it's much easier to focus on the surface. Anyway, not the end of the world, but it is a bit of a drag for me - of course the other things that Eucon brings to the party are worth the tradeoffs.

thanks for the reply - really appreciate your presence here!

ziggy2282 12-24-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Breen (Post 2588357)
Understood that you can't have the current fader level display co-exist with fader names - unfortunate since the C24s and D-Command/Control were able to do this with their old-tech scribble strips, but they didn't need to also display pan/sends/etc.

Yes, this exactly!

I would much prefer to look at the surface than looking up just for levels when I'm doing everything else on the surface. With such a detailed display on the new surfaces, it's an oversight to not see fader level and track name simultaneously. It seems this could be remedied with a software update and an option to switch between pan or fader level on the display while keeping the track name persistent. Having to constantly tap faders to interrogate levels and then not being able to see the track name or the decimal fader value sounds extremely frustrating.

Eddie--I'd love to see the above happen! It's the main hesitation I have with moving to the newer control surfaces.

KeyplayerG 12-28-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieJones (Post 2588289)

This was also very puzzling to me since my MC Control always showed the values but you had to touch the faders on the Mix units to get the same information.

I don't understand why the values can't be continuously displayed on the Mix units (and now the S1's), like they are on the MC Control MC. What's the difference? :confused: