Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Assertion in "..\ ..\ Sys\ Win32\ Sys_VolumeWin32.cpp", line 241. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=383903)

squareneck 09-03-2016 02:24 AM

Assertion in "..\ ..\ Sys\ Win32\ Sys_VolumeWin32.cpp", line 241.

Hi,
I'm on PT12.5, Win 10.

When I try to put an insert (EQ, instrument etc) on a track I get this:

Assertion in "..\ ..\ Sys\ Win32\ Sys_VolumeWin32.cpp", line 241.

Any thoughts about what could be wrong?

Best/ Bo

Southsidemusic 09-03-2016 08:15 AM

Re: Assertion in "..\ ..\ Sys\ Win32\ Sys_VolumeWin32.cpp", line 241.

Hey Buddy

Welcome to the Community!

Try this and post back with more details if it doesn't work so we can help better

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...w-do-i-fix-it/

Also try launching PT with the N key held down and choose the interface from the popup menu. Assertion errors are usually due to some harddrive issue or session corruption so first thing i would do is backup my stuff before you start fiddling with settings and hard drives.

Välkommen och Kul med fler Svenskar här :-)

squareneck 09-03-2016 12:16 PM

Thank you,

No luck with changing the playback Engine. And pressing the N-key on opening PT causes this "AAE-error 6117 was encountered". Thrashing the prefs doesn't do it either.

Other things I've noticed is that it takes very long to do the "initializing library content", and some Plug-ins DO work, Pitch II and Signal Generator as an example.

I should also mention that I run ASIO4ALL

I'm very greatfull for any help since I have this working on next friday, I'm a teacher :-)

/Bo

ps. Gött att höra från andra Svenskar Southsidemusic, ds

Southsidemusic 09-03-2016 12:35 PM

Can you post your computer specs, ram HD and what ever else is connected.

Whats the hard drive specs, do you record to a secondary HD? What is that model etc.

Darryl Ramm 09-03-2016 12:35 PM

Just give up and get a real interface with a native ASIO driver.

The most common cause for that assert is there not being a valid output for Pro Tools to use in the interface. You can check ASIO4ALL is up to date and that there at least appears to be an output path in the interface.

You can try other trouble shooting, starting with trashing prefs, testing with new sessions, temporarily removing all third party plugin files from the plugin folder.

squareneck 09-03-2016 01:04 PM

It's the same problem with when running a Mbox. I have the latest drivers (both ASIO4ALL and Mbox). Thrash the pref didn't do it either. No third party plug-ins are installed.

My specs are:
HP Laptop
Windows 10 Enterprise
Intell Pentium 2.1 GHz (CPU 4405U )
RAM: 4 Gig, I know it should be 8, but I don't Think this is the problem...
Hardrive: liteon l8h 128v2g (SSD)

So what do you Think?

Darryl Ramm 09-03-2016 01:16 PM

Windows laptops are a crap shoot for running Pro Tools at the best of time. You have woefully too little memory and a slow CPU. Upgrade the memory at least. And the kinda off-brand SATA SSD is not what I'd be using for a M.2 SATA drive.

If you want to spend time on this grab a spare dive, do a full clean install. Bare minimum drivers and Pro Tools and see if it works.

Don't waste too much time before deciding to give up on this laptop. If you want to run Pro tools on Windows, building a Windows PC is the way to go, following the exact advice of folks on the great build threads on DUC. Or go with a Macbook or get the exact Windows laptop that others are using.

squareneck 09-03-2016 01:24 PM

ok, here is the thing, this is only for teaching. I have a nice Mac and a HD-rig in my studio that works great.

But the school I'm teaching at uses HP-laptop, and since this is what I have there I have to deal with it. So instead of pointing out how crappy the machine is, try and halp me with the problem. To me it seems like something with the AIR Effects & AIR Instruments is corrupt since Everything else (recording, playback etc) work ok.

What do you Think...

Darryl Ramm 09-03-2016 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squareneck (Post 2379083)
ok, here is the thing, this is only for teaching. I have a nice Mac and a HD-rig in my studio that works great.

But the school I'm teaching at uses HP-laptop, and since this is what I have there I have to deal with it. So instead of pointing out how crappy the machine is, try and halp me with the problem. To me it seems like something with the AIR Effects & AIR Instruments is corrupt since Everything else (recording, playback etc) work ok.

What do you Think...

The laptop is crap, way under-spec, under-configured, what else do you want people here to do for you? Go sort it out with your IT department.

I've already suggested the best thing to try if you want to keep spending time on this is do a full clean OS install.... always worth trying when lots of things don't work properly. And you are not trying that because...

And worse if you are teaching Pro Tools to anybody, so much depends on getting a stable set-up, and you should be teaching students about that, you should not be working with such an out of whack system.

squareneck 09-09-2016 07:44 AM

Problem solved!!!

Got in touch with Avid support and the problem was that my user account was on a network. So I created a local user account, and then Everything worked fine.

Don't get me wrong, I also hate crappy laptop PC's, but for the purpose teaching PT 101, it's ok. So please stay with the topic next time.

I hope this will help other people with the same problem!

Best regards/Bosse