Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Pro Tools Installer asking me to manually delete PT (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414981)

ts1234 04-15-2021 10:21 AM

Pro Tools Installer asking me to manually delete PT

The Pro Tools Installer asking me to manually delete PT via control panel on Windows 10. It won't just update it?

Assuming this is an error?

Obsidian Dragon 04-15-2021 10:43 AM

Re: Pro Tools Installer asking me to manually delete PT

Quote:

Originally Posted by ts1234 (Post 2599630)
The Pro Tools Installer asking me to manually delete PT via control panel on Windows 10. It won't just update it?

Assuming this is an error?

Correct. You must manually uninstall it. It is one of the complaints we've been hearing around here for this release. It is often a recommend method to upgrade Protools on Windows.

ts1234 04-15-2021 10:50 AM

Weird as I don't recall this after a couple years of doing it.

Won't that delete all my plugins and settings as well?

Obsidian Dragon 04-15-2021 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ts1234 (Post 2599640)
Weird as I don't recall this after a couple years of doing it.

Won't that delete all my plugins and settings as well?

No. Uninstalling Protools does not delete your plugins.

H-Musikk 04-16-2021 12:56 AM

I have always done it this way (manually deleting the existing installation). I learned that when I started using PT 9, and have done it ever after...

sw rec 04-16-2021 06:23 AM

At the risk of being OCD about terminology, you “uninstall” the program. Don’t ever just delete it! And yes, most of us on Windows got in the habit long ago of uninstalling the previous version first. It takes about 10 minutes.

albee1952 04-16-2021 08:24 AM

One thing that trips up many Windows users is that PT will not uninstall from the Apps and Features list. The solution is to go a bit deeper by clicking on the Programs and Features link, which is in the upper right corner of the Apps and Features window. And if you see an option to also remove the HD driver, DO select that option(no matter what hardware you have). Leaving the drive in will fool the installer(making it think PT is still installed):o

philgrab 04-16-2021 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw rec (Post 2599708)
At the risk of being OCD about terminology, you “uninstall” the program. Don’t ever just delete it! And yes, most of us on Windows got in the habit long ago of uninstalling the previous version first. It takes about 10 minutes.

Not here. I've been upgrading every version for the last 10 years. Have not had a problem at all doing it this way. Manually deleting and re-installing is a lazy approach in this day and age for the programmers as 99% of programs, heck even Kontakt and Native Instruments can run an upgrade vs having to uninstall and reinstall the program manually. This is really developmental laziness. What I think they are afraid of is the registry values not getting cleaned up properly as well as file location discovery to make sure it all goes back the way it came off. However, other companies train their people to understand and allow for this and to create an update routine which can take this into account.

Also, it's not 10 minutes, it's 20 because this most recent version and the prior version which came out a few weeks ago, require the manual uninstall.

ts1234 04-16-2021 09:38 AM

Thanks everyone!!!

Obsidian Dragon 04-16-2021 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw rec (Post 2599708)
At the risk of being OCD about terminology, you “uninstall” the program. Don’t ever just delete it! And yes, most of us on Windows got in the habit long ago of uninstalling the previous version first.

Yes. The correct procedure is to uninstall, not delete. I updated my previous posts to reflect that correction.