Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Pro Tools 10 Audio Interface (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409824)

Brawders 04-25-2020 10:39 PM

Pro Tools 10 Audio Interface

I just upgraded and had a question. Since 2006 I’ve been rocking Pro Tools 7 LE with an 02 Rack. I bought a newer computer with Pro Tools 10 HD on it. Obviously my 02 Rack is obsolete so I’m confused on which interface works best.

I’ll be using the computer for sound designing, recording my band, and tasks like that. I am interested in having at least 8 inputs so I can record drums and separate the tracks, but I can do with less tracks if need be.

Questions.

Do I really need something compatible with the HD if I’m only using like 24 to 30 tracks max?

The Digidesign 192 looks promising but I don’t know I’m my Behringer would be compatible with the digital input on the 192.

Is a Focusrite Scarlett a good solid choice for at least 2 outputs?

I’m just confused on which audio interface would be priced the best and good for at least a few inputs.

Thanks so much in advance.

Southsidemusic 04-26-2020 12:21 AM

Re: Pro Tools 10 Audio Interface

Hey

When you say it had ”PT10HD” on it did you get a green or grey ilok with that and have you been able to launch the HD10 version and boot it up correctly!? All that matters when giving more advice here.

Let us know more so we can advice better.

JFreak 04-26-2020 12:28 AM

Moving to PT10 forum

albee1952 04-26-2020 10:56 AM

First off, what are some details on your new PC? Does it have a firewire port or can you add a firewire card? If so, you might be able to keep using the 002 for now(while its unsupported, it still is working for many). Focusrite and Presonus are 2 of many decent options for a new interface.

Re the 192, it requires an HDN or HDX card, HD/Ultimate software, AND a Digilink license(IOW, lots of stuff you don't need, so save your money).

Brawders 04-26-2020 08:55 PM

It’s a:
Mac Pro 2008
2 x 3.2 GHz Quad core
20 Gb ram
FireWire Ports yes
Pro Tools 10 HD just boots up perfect, I didn’t get an iLok unfortunately

I can try to plug in the 002 to see if it works, but would I get a better sound from something newer or more update?

I’ve seen a lot of good things about the Focusrite series so I was thinking about a 2i2 3rd gen for now, then worry when I have to record a full drum set down the line.

Just looking for any suggestions on something relatively, hopefully, cheap that I can record 8 tracks at once.

albee1952 04-29-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brawders (Post 2563572)
It’s a:
Mac Pro 2008
2 x 3.2 GHz Quad core
20 Gb ram
FireWire Ports yes

I can try to plug in the 002 to see if it works, but would I get a better sound from something newer or more update?

I’ve seen a lot of good things about the Focusrite series so I was thinking about a 2i2 3rd gen for now, then worry when I have to record a full drum set down the line.

Just looking for any suggestions on something relatively, hopefully, cheap that I can record 8 tracks at once.

Since the 2i2 is only 2 ins, why bother? I would keep using the 002(net cost=$0) and to get better audio, add either a 2 channel preamp with SPDIF(ART Digital MPA is good and affordable. API A2D is pricey, but stellar). Or add an 8 channel lightpipe pre(Behringer ADA8200 is quite good and dirt cheap. Midas XL48 is amazing for drums and well under $1K). iLok 2 or 3 is less than $40:o

Darryl Ramm 07-26-2020 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brawders (Post 2563572)
It’s a:

And no iLok with the computer? Not installed internally? So you purchased a computer with a cracked version of Pro Tools. And actually want to tell folks here that? I suspect you are about to get kicked out of DUC if you can't explain yourself.

Southsidemusic 07-26-2020 04:21 PM

Locked for now