Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Analog Summing; problems with recording back into Pro Tools. Clocking issue? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=385686)

jimbojimbo 10-21-2016 04:18 AM

Analog Summing; problems with recording back into Pro Tools. Clocking issue?

Hi guys,

I've just started doing some analog summing and have been experiencing problems when bouncing the summed audio back into Pro Tools.
The session is running absolutely fine but when I record it back into PT and listen back to that track, there are clicks and pops all over the place!

Here is my setup:

Mac Pro, Pro Tools 11.
Apogee Ensemble running it's 8 analog outs, then from the ADAT output, I'm running it into an RME Fireface 400, which is converting that out to it's 6 analog outputs.
It all runs into an Audient Sumo and records back into Pro Tools into the Apogee Ensemble.

Any thoughts?

Could it be a clocking issue? I'm clocking via ADAT.

Any thoughts would be super helpful!

Cheers,
James

albee1952 10-21-2016 08:39 AM

Re: Analog Summing; problems with recording back into Pro Tools. Clocking issue?

which unit is the master? does the other unit show "lock"?

jimbojimbo 10-21-2016 08:45 AM

Re: Analog Summing; problems with recording back into Pro Tools. Clocking issue?

Well, I've tried both ways and it seems that it works better when the Apogee is the master - RME has a great option to set it to AutoSync anyway, which is proving to be really good. They won't seem to sync at all if it's the other way round.

I've actually just found a way that seems to work a little better actually - having the RME as the main interface and running the Apogee as a stand alone unit. So far, it seems to be working much better and I'm able to record audio back in.

I'm not entirely convinced it's perfect though; considering trying the word clock option. Any thoughts on that?

29CountsNY 10-21-2016 09:17 AM

I would try the word clock route.
I've had no issues passing ADAT signal back and forth when using Word Clock.

priorytools 10-21-2016 09:23 AM

Strike that.
Yes, decide on the master & use word

jimbojimbo 10-21-2016 09:39 AM

Ok great, I'll try that then.

Just to confirm the process, if I were to make the RME the master, I would take the WC OUT from that into the WC IN on the Apogee, then terminate the signal there (via the 75ohm button).
Then obviously choose Word Clock on both devices and should be good to go?

Matt Hepworth 10-21-2016 09:47 AM

No, you'd only need to set the slave device to Wordclock. The master needs to be set to Internal clock. You probably won't need the termination switch to have sync, since it's a stubble device being slaved, but you can switch the termination switch to ensure it's terminated.

priorytools 10-21-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth (Post 2390730)
No, you'd only need to set the slave device to Wordclock. The master needs to be set to Internal clock. You probably won't need the termination switch, either, since it's a single device being slaved.

Yarrp . .

jimbojimbo 10-21-2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth (Post 2390730)
No, you'd only need to set the slave device to Wordclock. The master needs to be set to Internal clock. You probably won't need the termination switch to have sync, since it's a stubble device being slaved, but you can switch the termination switch to ensure it's terminated.

Ok, I'm with you.
Right, I'm going to give that a go and see how it goes.

Thanks all for the help!

priorytools 10-21-2016 11:08 AM

Just a thought … it's always worth just checking the "ignore errors" box in the playback engine isn't ticked :-)