Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Pro Tools created audio files & suffixes …? (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=402842)

priorytools 01-09-2019 02:43 PM

Pro Tools created audio files & suffixes …?

Was there a time when PT didn’t add the suffix “.aif” to audio files it created in aif format sessions?
And if so, at what PT version did that change & the suffix began to be added?

_JJ_ 01-09-2019 03:13 PM

Re: Pro Tools created audio files & suffixes …?

Are you talking about when viewing the files outside of ProTools? I believe file extensions have always been part of these audio files; .aif or .wav for example, but on a Mac you have the option to not see them...

From the Finder menu >> Preferences >> Advanced tab >> select or deselect "Show all filename extensions".

Top Jimmy 01-09-2019 04:00 PM

Pro Tools created audio files & suffixes …?

I think OS9 and before Windows compatibility Pro Tools didn’t add the suffixes. Type and creator were stored in the resource fork.

priorytools 01-09-2019 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _JJ_ (Post 2512162)
Are you talking about when viewing the files outside of ProTools? I believe file extensions have always been part of these audio files; .aif or .wav for example, but on a Mac you have the option to not see them...

From the Finder menu >> Preferences >> Advanced tab >> select or deselect "Show all filename extensions".

Hi JJ.
Yes. Viewing in the Finder.
I am aware of the show extensions options.
Thank you

priorytools 01-09-2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 2512163)
I think OS9 and before Windows compatibility Pro Tools didn’t add the suffixes. Type and creator were stored in the resource fork.

Hi TJ.
Yes, that sounds about right.
Like way back, PT 5 maybe.
We have some aif sessions that have gone into s NAS which is seeing the aif files as Unix Executable & thus the sessions when opened won’t link the audio.
Gonna have to add the suffixes I think.

Top Jimmy 01-09-2019 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priorytools (Post 2512191)
Gonna have to add the suffixes I think.

Might work. Just remember that aif files were originally big endian. Now, they've secretly been redesignated as aifc-sowt keeping just the aif suffix and swapped to little endian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

priorytools 01-12-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 2512193)
Might work. Just remember that aif files were originally big endian. Now, they've secretly been redesignated as aifc-sowt keeping just the aif suffix and swapped to little endian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Adding the suffix works.
But please do tell more about this secret redesign & little endian.