Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sac-2k and Protools (LE) (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=2664)

peteri 04-14-2001 02:40 PM

Sac-2k and Protools (LE)

I'm about to have an in-depth test of a Radikal Technologies Sac-2K and compare it to a Motormix.

Although I like the look of the 2K I'm concerned that it will always be second place to the MM because this comes from Digi (at least distributed by them) whereas the Sac distribution seems patchy.

Is there anyone out there using Sac-2k - anyone who can give an opinion to help me make up my mind?

Thanks

Pete

Homebelly 04-17-2001 04:38 AM

Re: Sac-2k and Protools (LE)

I like the look of this puppy too,so i poped on over to there site for a looksee,,it seems to do all the M.M dose,,same set up info as well to make it work with P.Tle,,controler set up select H.U.I,,only diference i can tell is the jog/shuttle weel,,and some soft key's i understand that these can be asigned diferent jobs inside of P.T's,,But heres the kicker,a while back i saw a picture of M.Mix alongside a simmiler looking"thingie"that had ajog/shuttle wheel and a neumeric key board,and a bunch of other cool stuff,so i e.mailed them to get the lowdown,and they told me it was an add on that was under development,,,and that the whole bundle was being designed by the H.U.I guy,,,

Homebelly 04-17-2001 04:38 AM

I like the look of this puppy too,so i poped on over to there site for a looksee,,it seems to do all the M.M dose,,same set up info as well to make it work with P.Tle,,controler set up select H.U.I,,only diference i can tell is the jog/shuttle weel,,and some soft key's i understand that these can be asigned diferent jobs inside of P.T's,,But heres the kicker,a while back i saw a picture of M.Mix alongside a simmiler looking"thingie"that had ajog/shuttle wheel and a neumeric key board,and a bunch of other cool stuff,so i e.mailed them to get the lowdown,and they told me it was an add on that was under development,,,and that the whole bundle was being designed by the H.U.I guy,,,

peteri 04-17-2001 06:49 AM

Thanks - yes I've already had a quick look at a Sac 'in the flesh' and it really does the same as the MM.

However - it is certainly more elegant and does have a scrub wheel - rather than one that may appear and maybe not.

The other thing in it's favour is that more of the functions are available on dedicated buttons whereas the MM has to change modes a fair bit.

Anyone out there used one?

Pete

Tim R. 04-17-2001 07:43 PM

I've got and used a HUI, Motormix, and now th e Sak 2K. Here's my 2 cents:

HUI is best of 3 but is 3X cost of MM and 1 1/2X cost of SAK. Monitor section is nice if you need it. Touch sensative faders are the big plus over MM. It's the biggest size wise of the 3.

Motormix is the cheapest and smallest footprint. No touch sensative faders is the biggest drawback. Not ergonomically laid out (especially transport buttons). The supposed Monitor section add-on has been in the works for about a year now. I spoke with the designer at AES and he said the hold up is a cost effective surround panner (I wouldn't hold my breath for this add on).

SAK 2K: Best bang for the buck if you want touch sensative faders, BUT the touch sensativity is a little buggy still (as was the HUI's in it's first year of release). The workaround right now is to ground yourself when writing automation. They promise software fixes soon. The faders are noisy but acceptable for the price. Plugin implementation is good. No meters (the HUI has em). Looks way cooler than the HUI/MM and it doesn't have the "MACKIE" name on it.

My vote is for the SAK if you're on a budget and want Touch faders but don't need the Monitor section.

Tim