Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   The Drum Room (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Drum programmers - advice please (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=256934)

amiller 10-15-2009 09:52 AM

Drum programmers - advice please

So I'm more a guitar player when it comes to music. Drums have always been really difficult for me to program. I have played with BFD in the past but struggled with it. I also probably didn't spend enough time with the manual. :rolleyes:

Question #1. What do you think the best software out there for me is? I want to get into (practicing) composing more - aside from my regular post production gig. But I need something that's fun, easy and sounds pro to practice with. That should help keep me motivated. I was looking at EZ Drummer or maybe Superior Drums but haven't researched it too much yet. TIA for the suggestions.

Question #2. Any advice on how to practice and get better at writing realistic drums?

jmitchell1532 10-15-2009 10:07 AM

Re: Drum programmers - advice please

1. I use BFD 2, which I love, though I hear Superior Drums is pretty good. I pencil in my own beats/grooves cause I've never really found a loop that does what I specifically want.

2. I'm a guitarist, born and bred, so I know what you mean when you say you have a tough time. Best way to practice/write "real" drums is to listen to bands/drummers that you like. Listen to how they play. You only have 4 appendages, 2 arms, 2 legs, so at any given time, a real sounding beat can have no more then 4 hits. Try to recreate your favorite patterns and such.

TOM@METRO 10-15-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmitchell1532 (Post 1478958)
1. I use BFD 2, which I love, .

+1 for BFD2

Rail Jon Rogut 10-15-2009 10:16 AM

All these programs come with Grooves which you can use as starting points.

Rail

Keybeeetsss 10-15-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut (Post 1478964)
All these programs come with Grooves which you can use as starting points.

Rail

Rail u don't know that:D

RussUK 10-15-2009 03:23 PM

+1 for Strike

albee1952 10-15-2009 07:19 PM

I'll put my money on ezdrummer as a great starting point. As you get better using it, you can expand it with new kits and grooves. Also, SD will incorporate all the ezdrummer sounds. Watch some videos on it at toontracks.com or youtube. The standard kit is decent. The Nashville kit is the first expansion to get IMHO(and GC has them all on sale right now). You can create entire song drums using the loops included. You can also feel free to edit them as they show on the piano roll as standard midi info. The trick to doing good programming from scratch is to think like a drummer(and be aware of things a drummer CAN'T or DON'T do, like hit the hat, snare and tom all at once).

nod25 10-15-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 1479302)
I'll put my money on ezdrummer as a great starting point. As you get better using it, you can expand it with new kits and grooves. Also, SD will incorporate all the ezdrummer sounds. Watch some videos on it at toontracks.com or youtube. The standard kit is decent. The Nashville kit is the first expansion to get IMHO(and GC has them all on sale right now). You can create entire song drums using the loops included. You can also feel free to edit them as they show on the piano roll as standard midi info. The trick to doing good programming from scratch is to think like a drummer(and be aware of things a drummer CAN'T or DON'T do, like hit the hat, snare and tom all at once).

+1. Absolutely everything Albee1952 says I agree with.

EZdrummer is very cool.

Keybeeetsss 10-15-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

The trick to doing good programming from scratch is to think like a drummer(and be aware of things a drummer CAN'T or DON'T do, like hit the hat, snare and tom all at once).

While on the ride cymbal & to hit a crash:eek:

danander11 10-15-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

The trick to doing good programming from scratch is to think like a drummer(and be aware of things a drummer CAN'T or DON'T do, like hit the hat, snare and tom all at once).

You've OBVIOUSLY never seen me play... :cool: