Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   10 HD TDM in Expansion chassis? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=379298)

lifer 03-28-2016 04:46 PM

10 HD TDM in Expansion chassis?

Hi I'm currently using my aged HD PCI system on a Win 7 64 pro system and it lovely!
I'm paranoid in case my motherboard dies so I'm considering getting a Pci to Pcie expansion chassis to future proof it. Does anyone know of any issues with expansion chassis in the latest motherboard and i7 combinations? I know there are issues with Mac Pros but I haven't seen anything relating to Win 7 systems.
Anyone using one like this successfully?
Any info gratefully received..

lifer 04-28-2016 06:08 AM

Re: 10 HD TDM in Expansion chassis?

Really? No one?
Bummer..

Audioartist 04-28-2016 09:04 AM

I dont have any issues with my mac pro and magma EB7..

lifer 04-28-2016 06:04 PM

Hi thanks for the reply but it was Windows 7 specifically I was wondering about :-)
Oh.. and PCI!

Darryl Ramm 04-28-2016 06:37 PM

Used PCIe Core/Accel cards are ~$300-$400 each on eBay. I'd run what you have into the ground than buy PCIe cards if needed.

Neil H 06-05-2016 03:46 AM

Never had a problem with my PCI-X HD5 in a PE6R4i PCIe to PCI-X chassis on Windows 7 the only issue was the added latency a chassis induced through its PCI bridge controllers so the lowest buffer i could run at was 512 with the chassis whereas i used to be able to run at 256 when the cards were internal but that wasnt a big deal to me.

Barry Johns 06-23-2016 07:26 PM

Your best fail safe, is to simply buy now, parts that art critical to rebuilding another computer. Motherboards are quickly going to become impossible to buy. So buy backups.

Barry Johns 06-23-2016 07:28 PM

One other huge point, is PCIe Accel and Core cards are much cheaper and stand to be around for a much longer time frame, it would be better to invest in those, don't you think?

Raoul23 10-13-2017 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil H (Post 2361913)
Never had a problem with my PCI-X HD5 in a PE6R4i PCIe to PCI-X chassis on Windows 7 the only issue was the added latency a chassis induced through its PCI bridge controllers so the lowest buffer i could run at was 512 with the chassis whereas i used to be able to run at 256 when the cards were internal but that wasnt a big deal to me.

Neil ive just brought one of these off ebay. I have the P7R464 chassis at the mo but changing for the PE6R4i. At the moment i can get 64 as my lowest buffer, does the PE6R4i not allow this. If i up my DSP's used for voices then the available lowest buffer thats available increases. Is this what happens on the PE6R4i

Neil H 10-13-2017 04:38 AM

Hi,

Yes from what I can remember that's what happens, im not in front of my machine right now to check, also i think the number of cards installed might have a bearing on it, more cards = higher latency.
I never had a problem with the P7 chassis either and don't remember any detectable improvement between the P7 and the PE6R4i so unless you are changing your computer to something never without native PCI support you may not see any difference.