Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Error Message (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406786)

ebjazz 10-17-2019 03:18 PM

Error Message

1 Attachment(s)
Hi; I've been getting this message lately:
Could not complete the Bounce To Disk command because The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (123) j:\AAA Master Tracks from J\Masters 16(available) E\Edits & full -wav\Tribal Melody
.wav

There are no illegal characters in the title. If I shorten the title to one letter it bounces, but anything longer and I get the message.
So I tried to delete the prefs and nothing worked so I restored them. I'm pretty sure that there are files in the folder that I'm not supposed to delete so I've attached a screen shot of the folder. Please tell me which files to delete.

Win 10

cwsand 10-17-2019 03:50 PM

Re: Error Message

I think it's just the ProTools Prefs file. Can you post a screenshot of the error message?

ebjazz 10-17-2019 03:55 PM

I don't have a screen shot, but this is the message:

Could not complete the Bounce To Disk command because The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (123) j:\AAA Master Tracks from J\Masters 16(available) E\Edits & full -wav\Tribal Melody
.wav

musicman691 10-18-2019 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebjazz (Post 2541644)
Hi; I've been getting this message lately:
.wav

There are no illegal characters in the title. If I shorten the title to one letter it bounces, but anything longer and I get the message.
So I tried to delete the prefs and nothing worked so I restored them. I'm pretty sure that there are files in the folder that I'm not supposed to delete so I've attached a screen shot of the folder. Please tell me which files to delete.

Win 10

I know in the past Windows had problems with spaces between characters and if you typed out the message correctly it looks like that could be the problem. That's why a lot of times you'll see underscores between characters where a space would be.

JFreak 10-18-2019 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebjazz (Post 2541644)
j:\AAA Master Tracks from J\Masters 16(available) E\Edits & full -wav\Tribal Melody.wav

Before freaking out have you tried to bounce with a simpler name and rename later?

originalscottyg 10-18-2019 06:54 AM

I am not a Windows user, so am not sure about this, but is it possible that the ( ) & in the directory path are illegal characters? Maybe try renaming your folders without those characters and see if that helps?

musicman691 10-18-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalscottyg (Post 2541716)
I am not a Windows user, so am not sure about this, but is it possible that the ( ) & in the directory path are illegal characters? Maybe try renaming your folders without those characters and see if that helps?

Those are not the problem. The problem/illegal characters are the slashes / \ and the colon :

See this page: https://gist.github.com/doctaphred/d...e1b7ddc02034d3

JFreak 10-18-2019 10:31 AM

Colon is a Mac character (not allowed) but used in Windows drive letters where it is allowed.

Slashes are forward on UNIX and backwards on backward systems (Windows)

The Weed 10-18-2019 10:34 AM

It may not be the file name itself that's the issue, but how long the destination address is. Try bouncing to your C: drive's desktop and see if that works.

JFreak 10-18-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Weed (Post 2541749)
how long the destination address is

Didn't count but must be less than 100 characters. If there is a problem in Windows with names like that I need to find that facepalm emoji