Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is it possible to solo aux sends? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405927)

Kinh 08-12-2019 12:51 AM

Is it possible to solo aux sends?

I just wanna hear the effected signal similarly to in Logic and Ableton. Can this be done in PTs?

Benny_Cha_Cha 08-12-2019 07:20 AM

Re: Is it possible to solo aux sends?

Yes. Use the solo mode “AFL” or “PFL”. Stands for After-Fader listen or Pre-fader listen. You set the path for this separate path in the I/O window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinh 08-12-2019 07:57 AM

You mean I have to create a new I/O path just for this?

albee1952 08-13-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinh (Post 2535272)

I'll let Benny answer that, but here's what I do for this need:
Every track(track presets and session templates are awesome), I add a send(named "Solo Path") in the last slot. I set them all to -0, all are pre-fade and all are muted. They all feed a separate pair of outputs on my interface(DIGI003R here). When I want to "solo" a bus or aux track, I switch my monitor source(I use a Presonus central Station) to the "solo path" outs(the pair that are tied to the sends). I can Ctrl-click on any track's last send so I can listen to anything I want(regardless of how its fed).This works really well if you have a spare pair of outputs:o

Other methods involve using the "Solo Safe" option(Ctrl-click on a solo button and it will be heard when anything else is solo'd). Whether you Solo-Safe an AUX or the tracks feeding the AUX will depend on your needs and your routing. Another way to hear aux returns(like reverbs and delays) is to feed them with pre-fade sends(sure, post-fade is the usual for feeding effects, but rules can be bent or broken...

BScout 08-13-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinh (Post 2535272)

Assign not create. It's in the lower right corner of the I/O window

henningaround 08-13-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinh (Post 2535244)
I just wanna hear the effected signal similarly to in Logic and Ableton. Can this be done in PTs?

It cannot be done and I'm missing it so much ...
A note to both workarounds mentioned above: you have to take into consideration that if you solo listen to an auxiliary track AFL/PFL or via a separate output to your monitor controller that this signal is not passing your master auxiliary anymore (or any other routing point inside Pro Tools). There are some more workarounds with VCAs and grouping solo/mute functions... But for me it's just to complex for stressful mixing challenges.
I just said goodbye to that feature when I moved from a console to in-the-box mixing.

Kinh 08-14-2019 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2535371)
Assign not create. It's in the lower right corner of the I/O window

Not quite sure where that is. Do you mean I/O set up..audition paths & default output bus? That's just for the output of my speakers so you probably dont mean that. Do you mean the 'output window button' of the mixer/'out' and choose a bus :confused:

Led 08-14-2019 05:44 PM

The only sad roundabout way I do this is to highlight all the send tracks plus aux track, hit shift+alt+solo, which solos them all, then set the send tracks to 'no output'. Works ok with only a couple of send tracks, takes more clicking around for something like a whole kit, but you can highlight all send tracks and hold shift+option to change all their outputs at once. That way you are still hearing the aux return via any buss processing.
It's such a helpful thing to be able to solo aux returns for layering them eq wise, bit of an oversight imho.

Benny_Cha_Cha 08-14-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinh (Post 2535421)
Not quite sure where that is. Do you mean I/O set up..audition paths & default output bus? That's just for the output of my speakers so you probably dont mean that. Do you mean the 'output window button' of the mixer/'out' and choose a bus :confused:

It’s called “AFL/PFL Path” and it’s in the lower right of the “Output” pane. If it’s not there, then your version of PT doesn’t support AFL/PFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BScout 08-14-2019 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinh (Post 2535421)

Output tab

https://i.imgur.com/Ix72D6e.png