Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Prefs were gone! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=393757)

PhilSchroeder 09-16-2017 09:02 AM

Prefs were gone!

Never seen this before...started up the rig this morning, launched PT (12.8.1) and none of the recent files showed up in the launch window. Then none of my EUCON stuff worked. Finally realized all my prefs had vanished between shut down the night before and this morning. WTF?! Anyone ever seen this before?

PT 12.8.1
OS 10.12.6
Mac Pro (2012) 6-core
32G RAM

very stable overall

Bob L 09-16-2017 02:21 PM

Re: Prefs were gone!

Have you changed the battery lately? The quarter (25 cent piece)-sized one?

P_J 09-17-2017 05:59 AM

This has happened me twice (during year or two). Never figured out what was causing this. No battery changes etc and also I have a very stable system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EGS 09-17-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P_J (Post 2449826)
... No battery changes etc ...

Well, I think BobL above was suggesting perhaps it SHOULD be replaced.

Bob L 09-17-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGS (Post 2449833)
Well, I think BobL above was suggesting perhaps it SHOULD be replaced.

Yup, that's what he was suggesting! :D

TrentWilliams 09-17-2017 02:24 PM

Over the weekend i've done a complete fresh install of my whole workstation.

Erased the drive and reinstall everything!

A few restarts after i'd finally got it all back together, I hand selected all my prefs (based on screen caps I took before the erase). Then restarted.

It worked fine. Then on the next restart all the prefs were gone for Eucon AND PT.

I wasn't sure what to put it down to, but in the moment I just brushed it off re-entered them all.

Since then it's been totally fine. Just a glitch in the matrix maybe..?

musicman691 09-18-2017 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trent W. (Post 2449908)
Over the weekend i've done a complete fresh install of my whole workstation.

Erased the drive and reinstall everything!

A few restarts after i'd finally got it all back together, I hand selected all my prefs (based on screen caps I took before the erase). Then restarted.

It worked fine. Then on the next restart all the prefs were gone for Eucon AND PT.

I wasn't sure what to put it down to, but in the moment I just brushed it off re-entered them all.

Since then it's been totally fine. Just a glitch in the matrix maybe..?

Or the battery inside needs to be changed. I'm dreading that day as I too have an iMac (the last model that had an internal dvd drive) and it doesn't llok like these beasties are that easy to take apart.

This actually brings up an interesting point - with the computer powered off but the AC power to the computer is still on is the battery in play or not?

PhilSchroeder 09-20-2017 05:36 AM

Battery...nope, hadn't even thought of that but it makes sense. Thanks for the help!

P_J 09-20-2017 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilSchroeder (Post 2450341)
Battery...nope, hadn't even thought of that but it makes sense. Thanks for the help!

For me this happened last time about six months ago and I'm still using the same battery. So I'm not sure could the battery be reason in my case.

LightWing 09-20-2017 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob L (Post 2449763)
Have you changed the battery lately? The quarter (25 cent piece)-sized one?

Isn't the function of the battery on a system for keeping the BIOS settings "alive"?

Niilo Nuori 09-20-2017 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightWing (Post 2450356)
Isn't the function of the battery on a system for keeping the BIOS settings "alive"?

Yep, the problem is not the battery (you'd have to reset the time and date etc if the battery does not work)