Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S4/S6 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Snapshots (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=345939)

jacko 10-19-2013 02:10 AM

Snapshots

Do S6 controllers have snapshot memory like ICON series do?

Drew Mazurek 10-19-2013 05:26 AM

Re: Snapshots

I'm getting the private demo today at 11am. I will try to post my thoughts later if I have time.

I do know that some features will be missing at launch but that there's a timeline to build them in over time. Custom Faders, VCA Spill…..

Drew Mazurek 10-19-2013 03:37 PM

Snapshots are planned I was told today.

Custom Faders are covered in several other ways. For example, you'll be able to build and store "layouts" which appears to be basically the same thing.

jacko 10-19-2013 04:45 PM

yes, layouts are already present in eucon
but I'm worried that today's eucon isn't as solid as ICON was...

-------------------
sent from tapatalk

Brandonx1 10-19-2013 10:44 PM

Layouts are extremely powerful. On the artist, I have layouts ans track show hide on a macro. So fast

Brent_Sydney 10-21-2013 07:38 PM

Layouts and its equivalency to custom faders is questionable.

Custom faders was a term used to describe several features on an ICON:
- Sort by track type (ie pull up VCAs or masters quickly)
- Sort by group membership - all members of the Dx group in the sweet spot quickly, no layout needed, it just read the PT session to find those and put them where you wanted them)
- VCA spill - workflow that toggles between those two states above
- Custom fader groups - similar to layouts but could be made from the console without mousing and could be recalled from DControl with a single button press
- Custom plugin maps to open plugins on faders with your choice of parameters in your layout when you focused on that plugin - fundamental for everything that doesn't map to the EQ/Dyn section, such as verbs/denoising etc
- Custom Fader group mapping - the most advanced feature, allowing you to put anything (plugin parameters, sends, pan pots) into any arrangement that could be recalled from the console at the press of a button, although a bit klugey to get into that state.

So far all the S6 chats Ive seen have only mentioned VCA spill workflow as coming soon and custom fader groups being like layouts. There's been little to no talk of all these other ICON specific features and how soon they will (if ever) make the transition to EUCON surfaces. Or how layouts can be edited or created from the surface, if it will be less button presses than making a custom group on an ICON, which would be the expectation from the mixers who drive "the worlds most successful large format console"

I've posed this question several times and its just been crickets and tumbleweeds in response from Avid. Hopefully they can step up their communication to ICON mixers at some point soon to set our expectations.

So far an S6 is looking like a step sideways to me, not a step forwards - that said, I haven't had an in flesh the demo and look forwards to the local teaming getting that happening before Xmas.

jacko 10-22-2013 12:07 AM

It's "funny" that it seems they will be catching up to something they did remarkably good in the past.

Drew Mazurek 10-22-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milaszewski (Post 2094410)
It's "funny" that it seems they will be catching up to something they did remarkably good in the past.

They've only been THEY for about 3 years.

This is mostly a Euphonix desk.

Branko 10-22-2013 04:47 AM

Custom Faders are gone forever. Avid has adopted a 100% Eucon/S5 approach, the only difference being the added Channel Matrix, which is said to be an "extremely powerful" tool. All their efforts are being put into Layers. There's also a funny function, inherited from S5, called "Swap", which was useful in S5 workflow, but useless in "in the box" situation.
Automation buttons from Icon are gone, so is the dedicated Trim button. Automation lights are now only two, and you have to figure out what those combinations mean, or try to read the display above the channel.
I'm not really excited about the meters next to the fader, because I work in post, and I look at the picture on the screen in front of me and not at the console.
The console is all black, so I doubt it will be easy to see and read info on buttons in dark post environments.
Nothing was said about the monitoring - I haven't noticed any monitor panel.
They say it's not a finished product yet. I say there's a lot of work to do.

Metering is finally decent.
Color coding is a good principle.
Clip scrolling is excellent.

I don't think it is a good enough replacement for the Icon.
Hope I'm wrong.

Branko 10-22-2013 04:51 AM

All this kinda reminds me of SSL back in 90's, when they ditched the Oxford project and went the Scenaria/Omnimix/Axiom way. Took them 20 years to get back.