Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Pro Tools 8 M-Powered Pops/Clicks with Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol Audio Recording (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=234654)

slenderfungus 12-26-2008 01:09 AM

Pro Tools 8 M-Powered Pops/Clicks with Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol Audio Recording

I have been using Pro Tools 7.4 M-Powered with Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3 for six months with no audio problems at all. However, after uninstalling PT 7.4 and upgrading to PT 8.0 M-Powered, I am now experiencing significant pops and clicks in the audio when attempting to record audio tracks using Guitar Rig 3. As suggested by Digidesign, I have installed and run “PC Wizard 2008” and I can provide the full report on my system specs if requested. However, to keep this first posting concise, the following is a quick summary of my system specs and troubleshooting info:

Windows Vista Business SP1
3.0Ghz Intel P4 530j
4GB DDR2 Memory
Intel D915GEV Motherboard/Chipset (BIOS is updated to the most current available)
System Drive: 7200 SATA 3.0GBs/500GB Drive with 50% space still available
Separate Dedicated Audio Drive: 7200 SATA 3.0GBs/500GB Drive with 95% space still available
NVidia GEForce 6600 with most current drivers available
Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol
Delta 1010LT sound card

Troubleshooting Summary and PT 8 M-Powered Info:
Hardware Buffer at 512MB
“Ignore Errors During Playback/Recording”: Disabled
Problem occurs with both 16Bit and 24Bit session configurations
PT Preferences set to limit recording allocation to 100 minutes (not open ended allocation)
System and Audio drives have been defragged
I have reinstalled PT 8 twice and performed a clean reinstall of Delta 1010LT drivers
Delta 1010LT drivers and Guitar Rig 3 drivers are updated to the most current releases
Guitar Rig 3 drivers are updated to the most current releases

Interestingly, the pops and clicks become even more significant if I glide the cursor back and forth across the “Bars/Beats” section of the PT “Edit” Window while passing audio signal and the problems seem to become worse if the PT “Edit” window is maximized.

The problem does not occur if I record signal directly through the Delta 1010LT or if I am playing back audio tracks previously recorded using PT 7.4. The clicks and pops only occur when Guitar Rig 3 is open and being used to record audio tracks into PT 8 M-Powered.

There are no specific error messages being generated by the Pro Tools application or in my system event logs. Again, I did not have these problems when using Pro Tools 7.4 M-Powered, only after upgrading to Pro Tools 8.0 M-Powered.

I'll be happy to provide more detailed information regarding my system specs and troubleshooting efforts, if requested. Any assistance in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated as I'm excited about using Pro Tools 8.0 M-Powered rather than being forced into reverting back to Pro Tools 7.4 M-Powered.

This is my first post on this forum, so hopefully I haven't overlooked any appropriate etiquette. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

greg1 12-26-2008 04:44 AM

Re: Pro Tools 8 M-Powered Pops/Clicks with Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol Audio Recording

I'm not sure that what I am about to relay will help you, but.... I had similar problems with recording after upgrade using an M-Audio Fastrack Pro. I could mix and bounce tracks previous 7.4 sessions fine. I followed the optimization tutorials and disabled all the services that are not necessary, eliminated the paging file and created a hardware profile that I use when I boot up. Also, like you upped the buffer size to 512 MB and the clicks and noise went away. I did not disable the ignore errors option as that always introduces noise and distortion. Although with using Kore I have to disable it, start recording and then stop recording and enable it again to use Kore Player. Oh! if only everything would play well together. Good luck, even though luck has nothing to do with it.

slenderfungus 12-26-2008 08:50 AM

Thanks for the response, Greg1. To add some additional info regarding my setup and troubleshooting efforts, I have previously implemented the system optimizations recommended by Digidesign support and those settings have been in place prior to my upgrade from 7.4 to 8.0. Also, as an additional troubleshooting attempt, I have peformed the "trash and rebuild" of the DAE Preferences and Digidesign databases but experienced no improvement.

However, the suggestion of creating a separate Hardware Profile for booting up to do Pro Tools sessions is something I have not yet tried. I'll give that a shot and report back the results.

One question about your comment though, I am of the understanding that having the "Ignore Errors" preference "enabled", as opposed to "disabled", has the potential for causing audio problems which is why I have that preference disabled. For reference, I have tried troubleshooting the problem with that preference both enabled and disabled and have not noticed any improvement one way or the other.

Thanks again for the response and I'll work on setting up a specific Pro Tools bootup "Hardware Profile" and post the results.

greg1 12-27-2008 05:12 AM

"One question about your comment though, I am of the understanding that having the "Ignore Errors" preference "enabled", as opposed to "disabled", has the potential for causing audio problems which is why I have that preference disabled. For reference, I have tried troubleshooting the problem with that preference both enabled and disabled and have not noticed any improvement one way or the other."

I have noticed that whether right or wrong, if I do not have Ignore Errors checked I eventually get a lot of static and noise. I have to have that option selected. Except to get Kore Player going then I check it again and it's good to go. Sorry I couldn't be more help but it seems that we tend to have knowledge of our particular setup and not everyone has the same. The hardware profile is just an easy way to boot up into a particular configuration. If you have already done all the optimization I doubt if putting that into a hardware profile is going to make any difference for you.

GregB

DTheone 01-14-2009 04:49 PM

Did you see this?

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...n=news_details

According to this Guitar Rig 3 is not compatible with PTMP8; in fact it looks like a majority of the Native Instruments plug-ins are no longer compatible.

Could be that this is due to Digidesign having similar instrument plug-ins (like Eleven, Structure, etc...) Just a guess

slenderfungus 01-15-2009 07:50 PM

DTheone, thanks for pointing out this link as it's something I hadn't come across in the course of troubleshooting this problem. The issue with the pops and clicks I was having was apparently due to my CPU being hit too hard with both GTR3 and PT8 running and I could monitor the spikes in the CPU activity that that corresponded with the noise.

So, I've just finished upgrading my motherboard (Intel DP35) and processor (Intel E6850 3Ghz Core 2 Duo) with a clean Vista install and after a few rounds of initial testing, I have yet to experience any problems. However, at this point I haven't been able to really run it through some appropriately rigorous testing and given the "non-compatibility" info you've pointed out, I won't be shocked if some other issues arise. It would be beneficial if Digidesign could specify a bit of detail on what issues qualify an app/plugin as being classified as "non-compatible", but perhaps I'll find out sooner or later.

I'll definitely post any issues I come across as I start to work a bit deeper with the GR3/PT8 combination and now that Native Instruments have released the 3.2 update for GR3, I'll be installing that shortly. I'll be a bit pissed if I end up experiencing any problems because this level of overhauling my entire system is a bit of a drag, but I greatly appreciate having that stated "incompatibility" between GR3/PT8 pointed out, regardless of the potential irritation that may come up as I work a bit deeper with the two applications. I hate the idea of possibly being "forced" into being restricted into only being allowed to use Digidesign's guitar app, but I'm also cynical enough to not be surprised if that's actually an aspect of their business model.

DTheone 01-15-2009 09:06 PM

I don't think digidesign is doing anything purposely, there are NI plugs that are working or work but are problematic; on the other hand Digidesign has a pretty stellar lineup of plugs that I'm actually giving a shot (structure, eleven le, AIR) I'm liking the new direction over the past 3 years digidesign has taken everything.
I'm actually back on board; I haven't moved since 7.1 LE. all it takes is a separate hard drive for PTLE 7.1 LE and the same for 8.0; I'll work it like that till everything's caught up to 8.0 with updates.

slenderfungus 01-15-2009 09:53 PM

Despite my underlying cynicism, I'll agree that any lack of compatibility between PT8 and GR3 is probably not due to any deliberate intention on the part of Digidesign, but the "delicacy" of their compatibility aspects is a bit frustrating. In my experience, Digidesign tend to deliver pretty solid products and I was close to opting for their "Eleven" software as opposed to the GR3, but their were some elements of the GR3 product that ultimately influenced my decision in favor of their application. I suppose my situation is simply the result of rolling the dice on making a premature upgrade as opposed to holding out for at least the initial round of update patches, but PT8 offered up some improvements in some areas that I was anxious to explore. Anyways, I'll post comments on my experience from this point forward, which will hopefully be favorable, or at least constructive for others who've found themselves in a similar situation. Thanks again for your feedback and any other observations will be appreciated as well.

DTheone 01-15-2009 10:24 PM

Eleven LE came about through the Music Production Toolkit 2 that I ordered; it's part of the package; pretty nice VI to add making MPTK2 literally a steal.

I like the way NI's guitar rig 3 is set up with the musical styles and the automatic matching of components; they have some pretty cool templates. Eleven looks like it was made with the guitar purist in mind who can build a dream setup based on their experience and knowledge as opposed to a novice like myself who is trying to offer something to potential clientele. This is just a guess as I haven't sat with it yet. Fooling around with Guitar rig 3 and Waves GTR3 and copying; mimicking their presets on Eleven is the way I'm going to go until I learn it properly.

Good luck and keep me posted; my updated softwares (PTMP8, MPTK2 and Transfuser) should be arriving tomorrow or Monday and i'm going to be putting everything through the paces too.

A lightbulb just went off before signing off; try that fxpansion vst to rtas wrapper 2.1 which is compatible with PT8 and use the vst version of guitar rig 3 wrapped and see if that takes care of your issue.........i'm definitely trying that if i encounter any problems with any of my plug-ins that have vst installs as well.......