Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Connecting keyboard to Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=75623)

Doran 07-11-2003 10:56 PM

Connecting keyboard to Pro Tools

I want to connect my Korg Triton Studio to Pro Tools thru MIDI. I purchased USB MIDISPORT 2x2 as a MIDI interface. Now I'm stumped. What are the next steps that I need to do to get this running? Can I use the existing sounds on my Triton thru MIDI? Thank you for your help. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

clausiii 07-12-2003 12:24 AM

Re: Connecting keyboard to Pro Tools

you have to plug the line outs of your Korg into your Digi001/002/M-Box line ins, then create an Aux track and set the right input, Bingo

tele_player 07-12-2003 12:45 AM

the blind leading the blind...

Kelso 07-12-2003 06:02 AM

connect the midi out of your keyboard to the midi in of the midi interface, the out of the interface to the in of the keyboard.
Then to command a soft synth you can use your keyboard, and to command the sound of your keyboard, create a MIDI track, now you can record and playback midi.

Doran 07-12-2003 11:00 AM

OK everything is connected properly, the keyboard out is connected to the interface in, the interface out is connected to the keyboard in, and the USB out of the interface is connected to the computer. when i create a MIDI track, i select the input to MIDISPORT 2x2 (my interface) channel 1. I turn local control off on my Korg. Now what do I have to do to get protools to recognize the sound?

Doran 07-12-2003 03:01 PM

All of what you have said is in place, but it's still not working. It may just be because I dont have a firm grasp on MIDI.

Is it possible to use the sounds existing on my keyboard in Pro Tools? In other words, can i transfer my drum tracks and synth tracks thru midi cables? or is that just for volume, attack time etc. I have many songs on my Triton that are just in 8 measure loops, and I would like to edit them in MIDI in PT. Am I doing the right thing here with a MIDI interface?

Jonah 07-12-2003 03:04 PM

Don't forget to record enable the midi track

Doran 07-12-2003 03:05 PM

Yeah the track is rec enabled, when everything is working like it should, will I be able to hear the exact sounds that I have been working with on my keyboard in PT?

tele_player 07-12-2003 03:10 PM

Yes, of course.

Jonah 07-12-2003 03:15 PM

Quote:

Is it possible to use the sounds existing on my keyboard in Pro Tools? In other words, can i transfer my drum tracks and synth tracks thru midi cables? or is that just for volume, attack time etc. I have many songs on my Triton that are just in 8 measure loops, and I would like to edit them in MIDI in PT. Am I doing the right thing here with a MIDI interface?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
You can record your existing tracks as audio by connecting your Triton outs to the Digi ins but recording audio eats up hard drive space and is trickier to edit after it's committed to your HD. Better to record the midi only ( as described previously ) and send the midi back to the Triton. Then you can connect the Triton outs to the Digi ins and create an aux track(s)to hear the Triton playing back the midi you've recorded.You can edit the midi tracks easier like that. When you bounce to disk ( ie to create a CD ) the aux tracks will record to the 'bounce to disk'as part of the mix.
I'm a novice too with midi so hope this helps!