Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Storage Subsystems (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   SCSI or Firewire (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=120534)

ewan 11-09-2004 06:46 AM

SCSI or Firewire

I've got a G4 dual 1.25gHz with an ATTO Dual Channel SCSI Card running an Accel system with 2 Farm cards and 3 192's. The other day a session came in using a single Lacie 250Gb extreme drive with 24bit 88.2k files. There seemed to be no difference in track count between the two and I found I could even reduce the DAE setting down to 2 instead of the 8 I was having to use for the SCSI drive. Anyone else using firewire drives instead of SCSI? because let's face it SCSI is a complete pain in the A@*e!

drums77 11-13-2004 03:34 AM

Re: SCSI or Firewire

Hi!! Use the FireWire LaCie d2 HardDisk!! I have already the ATTO DC and two SCSI HD with mutch problem on one of this two HD!! The LaCie d2 are the only HD for best recording on Pro Tools!!

mastermad 11-14-2004 01:25 AM

I agree. I successfully use FW drives for almost every session. I am having a hard-time breaking from my 15k RPM SCSI, but the size on that drive is small, and the perfomance increase is not worth the hassle in upkeep and to be frank, making it work at all at times. Now I record and backup to FW and archive to DVD. I agree the Lacie is a great drive.

ewan 11-26-2004 04:59 PM

Is there any noticably difference in track count? and do you have problems with daisy chaining drives together?

georgia 12-10-2004 07:10 AM

FYI, There are some probles with performce ( at least on the old Mix TDM systems ) when you cross Storage systems.. IE: some of your single session is on Firewire and Ssome of the same session is SCSI... I run into this and found that simply keeping the sessions on one IO medium works far better than multiple buss technologies.

I use both SCSI and Firewire on most of my systems, and I agree, the SCSI is a little faster and seems to handle more tracks on one drive. To resolve tihs I just split sessions on 2 or more F?W drives when I need too. I'm working a 40 track mix right now on 2 F/W drives with no problems.

With the price of F/W having dropped , I now use Glpyh F/W chassies 120 gig "Keys" as they call them, for all my sessions and on all my systems. I use my SCSI disks for local stroage of misc stuff and old sessions to be archived to DVD at some future date.

cheers
georgia

mrmxed 12-16-2004 08:33 PM

In making the jump from PT v5.3 to v6.7, OS 9.2 to 10.3.x, G4 to G5...
I have decided to abandon my many SCSI drives in favor of FireWire. The decision is based on "bang for buck", ease of use, and that my old SCSI card would need to be replaced with a newer compatible one. Just not worth it.

So the question regarding multiple FireWire drives:
If you need 2 or more drives to accomodate a large number of tracks, is it okay for the drives to be on one single chain? My plan is to run audio off the 800 FireWire port (2 or more drives as needed) and Quicktime off the 400 FireWire port. Is this real-world practical? Georgia?

Thanks - Mark

mrmxed 12-27-2004 05:37 PM

(bump)

bondboy 01-23-2005 12:48 AM

Hi everyone,

Just moved to a pro toolsLE system on a powerbook G4 1.5

I'm thinking to purchase a Lacie triple interface firewire as my external audio drive.
Lacie triple interface drive

These seem more competitively priced than quantegy, but to be honest I'm a little in the dark.
Anybody had any experience/problems? Is there much difference with firewire 400 or 800?

Cheers