Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   3rd party interfaces and PT11 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=339535)

Farmer Dave 06-03-2013 02:21 PM

3rd party interfaces and PT11

I was glad to see this added to the FAQ:

----------------------------------------------------
Q: Will Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD software continue to support both Avid and 3rd party audio interfaces?
A: Keeping Pro Tools software open has been key to the product strategy since the introduction of Pro Tools 9 and remains so today. Pro Tools 11 continues to support Core Audio and ASIO drivers to enable using Pro Tools with or without Avid hardware. We have no plans to close off future versions of Pro Tools to work only with Avid hardware. added 5/31/13

I know this will put a few other minds at ease as well.

Southsidemusic 06-03-2013 05:12 PM

Re: 3rd party interfaces and PT11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer Dave (Post 2045062)
I was glad to see this added to the FAQ:

Q: Will Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD software continue to support both Avid and 3rd party audio interfaces?
A: Keeping Pro Tools software open has been key to the product strategy since the introduction of Pro Tools 9 and remains so today. Pro Tools 11 continues to support Core Audio and ASIO drivers to enable using Pro Tools with or without Avid hardware. We have no plans to close off future versions of Pro Tools to work only with Avid hardware. added 5/31/13

I know this will put a few other minds at ease as well.

Yea, we have known that for 2 months now so glad you found it now ;)

Although I am happy that they finally put it in writing and not just in the q&a when 11 was launched so it is a good move for Avid users who like us use both Avid and 3rd party HW.

Farmer Dave 06-03-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2045109)
Yea, we have known that for 2 months now so glad you found it now ;)

Although I am happy that they finally put it in writing and not just in the q&a when 11 was launched so it is a good move for Avid users who like us use both Avid and 3rd party HW.

When PT11 was announced I saw that it was in the system requirements as supported, but now I'm not seeing that (though I might be just overlooking it somewhere). Recent rumors to the contrary started giving me pause.

Agreed - good to see it in writing, and so recently and firmly stated as well.

nigelpry 06-04-2013 05:26 PM

Unfortunately, 'We have no plans' does not equal 'We will not'.

No doubt Avid would have declared that it had no plans to withdraw CPTK if it had been asked several years ago.

Plans can emerge or change over time.

The mere fact that Avid thought it appropriate to withdraw CPTK in the way that it did, coupled with its lack of explanation of the rationale behind the decision means that, realistically, we can have little confidence in our understanding of its strategic direction or what that might mean for Pro Tools' future..

zedhed 06-05-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelpry (Post 2045336)
Unfortunately, 'We have no plans' does not equal 'We will not'.

No doubt Avid would have declared that it had no plans to withdraw CPTK if it had been asked several years ago.

Plans can emerge or change over time.

The mere fact that Avid thought it appropriate to withdraw CPTK in the way that it did, coupled with its lack of explanation of the rationale behind the decision means that, realistically, we can have little confidence in our understanding of its strategic direction or what that might mean for Pro Tools' future..

Whilst I believe you have a legitimate gripe RE; CPTK, it's getting a bit tedious seeing your frustration crop up in unrelated posts. There are threads directly dealing with that particular issue.

Of course plans can emerge or change over time....that's life, you are stating the obvious. As the title of this thread indicates clearly, the specific question is whether or not 3rd party interfaces will be supported by PT11, and just as clearly, an answer has been given.

Southsidemusic 06-05-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedhed (Post 2045562)
Whilst I believe you have a legitimate gripe RE; CPTK, it's getting a bit tedious seeing your frustration crop up in unrelated posts. There are threads directly dealing with that particular issue.

Of course plans can emerge or change over time....that's life, you are stating the obvious. As the title of this thread indicates clearly, the specific question is whether or not 3rd party interfaces will be supported by PT11, and just as clearly, an answer has been given.

Thank You soo much for that post! I was just writing something similar but not as well worded :p

nigelpry 06-06-2013 01:20 PM

Yeah guys, I apologise for last night's post ... I got carried away in the other thread (that shall not be named here) updating it with info that had come my way at the two Avid roadshow events I've been to in the last week. Then saw this thread just before retiring to bed for the night.

Some of the things that were said at yesterday's event particularly resonated strongly with the 'we have no plans' quote in this thread. I only intended the unmentionable subject to be an illustration of what worth 'we have no plans' actually has in reality. It was not my intent to hijack this thread, and for giving the perception that this was what I was trying to do, again, I apologise.

The bottom line remains the same though .... 'we have no plans' carries with it no commitment to honour its inferred meaning.

Southsidemusic 06-06-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelpry (Post 2045713)

The bottom line remains the same though .... 'we have no plans' carries with it no commitment to honour its inferred meaning.

As for everything in life :rolleyes:

I don't and will never understand all this "i demand insurance and I want a commitment" posts you seem to be pushing and I am pretty sure you are fishing in your own toilet on that one dude. As was pointed out in the "complainers thread" it is getting quite tiering to read.. You have stated a few times you are going to wait and possibly even move on to another DAW so I can't compute why you are still here rehashing what we have already gone thru.

Leave it alone and see what happens when PT11 is finally released. All this is pointless and getting old very fast.

nigelpry 06-06-2013 03:00 PM

Southside ...

The only reason I commented in this thread was to invoke a reality check, as the first couple of posts directly imply that Avid's 'we have no plans' comment means we can all rest easy about 3rd interface support into the future.

The reality is, as I pointed out but you and the OP originally didn't (although you have confirmed now), that Avid's words do not amount to a commitment. Plans can change, and often do!

Much as you obviously dislike the nature of some of my posts (and I can live with that, we are all entitled to have different views) I am always uncomfortable with posts that can be misinterpreted by readers to offer more reassurance than actually warranted by the facts. Equally, I am uncomfortable with posts that paint a worse picture than reality.

So I will comment on post when I consider they are overly reassuring or overly doom-mongering.

If what Avid has said is sufficient for you then I am happy for you. But you cannot be the judge and jury that decides whether what Avid says is sufficient for other people.

I state my views. I am content for you to disagree with my views, that is your prerogative. I am not so content when you choose to get 'personal' when disagreeing with me. My post did not get personal with you, it simply stated my point of view.

Also, please read my post and other posts carefully. You'll find that I have demanded nothing, ever. You are interpreting my posts as saying something that they do not. Please do not attribute things to me that I have not said.

For instance, in the questions that Marianna asked me to send her via email, I was always careful to use wording along the lines of ... Can Avid ... Will Avid ... etc etc. There are no demands. I seek clarity to allow informed decisions to be made.

The fact is that some issues remain unclear, and therefore fully informed decision making is not possible. Thus decisions made in such conditions are a gamble. You may be content to make decisions on that basis, and, if push comes to shove, I will also make a decision that is a gamble.

But I don't accept that this is how it has to be. I will try to improve my information base so that I can make better informed decisions. I will ask questions and seek answers. If, at the point where I cannot delay making a decision any longer, issues have not been resolved, then I'll have to gamble. I won't like doing that though, and I'll then express my discontent at Avid's inability to provide clarity

A clear commitment from Avid would actually mean something. I haven't asked for one though. I have simply pointed out that what Avid has said so far does not amount to a commitment and should not be interpreted as such.

Farmer Dave 06-06-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelpry (Post 2045734)
Southside ...
The reality is, as I pointed out but you and the OP originally didn't (although you have confirmed now), that Avid's words do not amount to a commitment. Plans can change, and often do!

What I pointed out was PT11 and 3rd party are supported in print, and that's all I was after.