Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   LOW LATENCY, HIGH CPU USAGE Mbox setup.. a MYTH? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238491)

ataraxia 02-04-2009 07:03 AM

LOW LATENCY, HIGH CPU USAGE Mbox setup.. a MYTH?

Is there anyone out there actually running an Mbox with PT LE and pushing their CPU up near 90% with a buffer of 128 without it spiking?

I have a brand new Macbook Pro... an Mbox 2 mini..

I've done ALL the optimization things...

But still, I seem to be DREAMING to think I can actually use most of my CPU.. 30% and it becomes unstable.. occasionally deciding to stop and give me error 9218.. The one telling me i need to use less RTAS plug ins

Am I naive to think I might actually see my CPU bar go past 50% and be reliable?

Please.... I need stories of hope... anyone? It's starting to look like it's just not possible..

Fixxxer 02-04-2009 07:31 AM

Re: LOW LATENCY, HIGH CPU USAGE Mbox setup.. a MYTH?

yeah man! familiar story :)

my statistics:
64 buffer - about 30-40% of cpu usage
1024 buffer - about 50-70% of cpu usage. At point of 50-60% i can't activate/deactivate/add plugins without errors (cpu overload errors).

Quote:

Am I naive to think I might actually see my CPU bar go past 50% and be reliable?
Yes. Sad but true. I think digi doesn't work on rtas engine optimization. After updating from 7.4 to 8, i've noticed that cpu overload errors happens more often than in 7.4.

DigiTechSupt 02-04-2009 11:15 AM

Most likely you have plug-ins installed that are not fully RTAS optimized and reducing the number of CPU's in the playback engine should help with the errors.

Can you try this and let me know if it does?

Also, verify that all installed plug-ins are the minimum versions required for Pro Tools 8:

Pro Tools Plug-in Compatibility Grid

ataraxia 02-04-2009 10:02 PM

I have uninstalled PT8 and am now running PT 7.4.2 with the cs2 patch

its still just as unstable

its also doing a thing now where it will pause my mouse moving for about 1-2 seconds and then do a tiny pop and resume working....

awesome.

i have lost so much time trying to work out how to make it stable...

DigiTechSupt 02-05-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ataraxia (Post 1347879)
I have uninstalled PT8 and am now running PT 7.4.2 with the cs2 patch

its still just as unstable

its also doing a thing now where it will pause my mouse moving for about 1-2 seconds and then do a tiny pop and resume working....

awesome.

i have lost so much time trying to work out how to make it stable...

Did you try my suggestion?

You also say you did ALL the optimizations - can you tell us specifically which ones? I ask that because, very often, people say they did all of them, but on further investigation we find that they missed one or two - and those turn out to be the ones that cure the problem.

Also, knowing more about your system would help us diagnose it. See the Help Us Help You thread for details on what we need to know...