Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   need help with HD components (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=272019)

FMR_Crisis 04-17-2010 03:39 PM

need help with HD components

Hello, I am new to the world of recording and I have a few questions. I really want to get protools HD but I dont know all what I need, I also spend a decent amount of time on the website and the online store but I cannot find the price for protools HD1?. I have a iMac and my question is after i buy protools HD 1 is there anything else I need to buy besides a Mic, like a preamp or a mixer?.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Cheers,

Crisis

Keybeeetsss 04-17-2010 03:51 PM

Re: need help with HD components

I don't believe u Can do HD with an iMac...

FMR_Crisis 04-17-2010 03:57 PM

Do you know what kind of computer I need to run protools HD?

Keybeeetsss 04-17-2010 04:01 PM

Honestly jus about any Desktop newer Mac besides the iMac; Even the older G5's but then ur stuck with PPC & can only go so far' can I ask what makes u feel u want or need HD? What type of work do u do as far as music etc...

FMR_Crisis 04-17-2010 04:02 PM

I just want to know all that I need to set up a home studio with that commercial sound? any info would be great!

FMR_Crisis 04-17-2010 04:04 PM

I am going to be doing Hiphop/RnB, I just want that professional sound to compete with other artists.

Keybeeetsss 04-17-2010 04:08 PM

Having HD nor PT means u will hav a professional or commercial sound; so I'm jus sayin that to say, think about & consider a lot before u fork over that kind of money b|c @ this point u still need to spend a couple to a few thousand on a computer if u want to stay MAC...

FMR_Crisis 04-17-2010 04:18 PM

ya i kno that so are we talkin about maybe $4,000+ to get a new comp and prtools HD roughly ?

Keybeeetsss 04-17-2010 04:22 PM

U'd need a SUPA-SAVA Coupon to get in for that price not to mention that'd only be HD1 & probably a 96i/o which IMHO is a total waste of MC Hammer's money:eek:

BradLyons 04-17-2010 05:07 PM

As KEY said, having ProTools means NOTHING to having "that sound" as frankly, just about any DAW can give you great mixing results. Ofcourse, there are many differences both good and bad..but to have "that sound" will come to your room acoustics, the microphones, pre-amps, outboard compressors, the quality of cables, your converters, studio monitors, the plugins and other mixing things you have. You'll need to invest thousands of dollars on that stuff first, then worry about the DAW.