Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Plug-ins Not Recognized On /a New Track (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406254)

RichrdC 09-09-2019 08:55 PM

Plug-ins Not Recognized On /a New Track

Hello to the community.. I appreciate the insights of you all.! So, I have the MBox 3rd generation going directly into a Lenovo laptop. I have ProTools 18.4...Happy with that.. I can arm a new track and record. Problem is that I can't seem to get a plug-in to be recognized when put on that track. Any plugin.. I'm perplexed? It's like the MBox is just a way to hear my guitar through the headphones even if I don't have Pro Tools open.. The physical setup is simple enough, so I must have a setting in Pro Tools wrong..or maybe the Mbox is set up wrong?? I appreciate any insight into my next step?? Thank you all, RichrdC

RichrdC 09-10-2019 08:04 AM

Re: Plug-ins Not Recognized On /a New Track

Maybe I should ask, why a plug-in might not be recognized?

Ben Jenssen 09-10-2019 08:44 AM

You need to explain what happens. Does it not show up in plugins menu? Can you instantiate it but not hear its effect? If it's the latter, have you checked if what you're hearing is the direct input signal on the mbox and not PT main out?

RichrdC 09-10-2019 09:08 AM

All the plugs show up in the drop downs.. I can click on one, say Reverb and it'll show up on the insert, but it has no effect. I can strum the guitar through my MBox 3rd generation, and there's no change in the sound of the guitar.

Ben Jenssen 09-10-2019 09:16 AM

I quote myself:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2537629)
...have you checked if what you're hearing is the direct input signal on the mbox and not PT main out?

JFreak 09-10-2019 09:19 AM

Does your output mute when you drop the output slider to bottom? If it doesn't it is clear that you are not monitoring your PT output.

RichrdC 09-12-2019 07:22 AM

I think you're correct JFreak..I mean, I can have my guitar & headphones plugged into my Mbox3 and I can hear the guitar even without having ProTools opened up.
I spent some time yesterday trying to really flesh out the issue. I'm just getting back into having the studio up and running so I've sort of become a newbie again.. I hate when life gets in the way!
So, I have an established session on which are many plug-ins.. I can change patches to any of them, and I can hear the changes through my headphones when I play the session.
Now, I record enable a track, any track, and I can no longer hear any patch changes to the plug-in on the record enabled track. I can record to the enabled track. I can see the signal in the meter. It will record.
I think I need a link to setting up the links. It seems the plug-in path isn't right.
I've gone to the I/O settings and hit the default button.
I did the same in the Settings of the Mbox3.
I have a Lenovo lap top that has 2 USB2 connections and 1 USB3, which I haven't utilized. I've got the Mbox3 connected directly to the computer, and everything else on a hub to the other USB2.
I use a ICON Qcon Pro X control surface.
I've searched quite a bit for a video that would lend some insight about Protools 18.4 software set ups.. Maybe that's what I need most. I just haven't found it yet.
All worked well till I had to break down the rig, which stayed broken down for about a year and a half.. So now, I can't wait to have it working once again..
Thank you for reading this..

Ben Jenssen 09-12-2019 07:38 AM

It's very easy. The Mbox can output the PT main outs. And it can output any signal coming in thru mic/inst inputs directly. Or a mix of the two. This is very common on interfaces. Usually you can choose how much you want from each on the hardware or in the Mbox software. Check the Mbox manual.

The Weed 09-12-2019 08:01 AM

Is LLM on? If it is, IIRC, any plug-in on a Record Enabled Track is turned off.

RichrdC 09-13-2019 10:05 AM

Are you speaking of Low Latency Monitoring? I'm pretty sure I've got that off, but considering I've been all over the place looking at different options to set, I'll have to check again..