Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Control Surface vs. Digi 002 vs. Control 24? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=72759)

Calvin 03-19-2003 06:43 AM

Control Surface vs. Digi 002 vs. Control 24?

Hey guys,
Ok so here is the deal. I just got a second job to help fund my need for a studio as well as moving out on my own. Now that money is going to be flowing a little bit better around here I am starting to consider saving up for some better gear. Ok so one of the first things that I would like to get would be a control surface of some kind. I am really tired of mixing with a mouse. So anyway I have several options. I can:

1. Get a motor mix that would give me 8 faders to play with. About $800-900. I can easily swing this right now if I want.

2. Save for a few weeks and get a Digi 002. This would give me 8 faders, better pre-amps, and better converters. Around 2 grand. I can almost get this now, but deffinately in a couple weeks I could.

3. Save up for the Mother of all controllers, the Control 24. 24 Faders to play with, any function I could ever want is adjustable from the board. 16 decent preamps that I could use. This mother runs about $5,500. This would take me several months to save up for, but it would be well worth it right?

Ok so really right now, I am trying to decide between the 002 now, and the Control 24 down the road. Here's the argument in my head. Alright with the digi 002, I get better everything compared to my current 001. I get better pre-amps, better converters, a small controller. Just a good step up from the 001. With the Control 24, I get a Incredible controller. I have used the control 24 on project that I did while in school and I absolutely loved it. With it I get plenty of faders, pretty good pre-amps. A awesome contol section for monitoring. And a huge boost in the "profesionalism" department.

Right now I am not to worried about getting this amazing controller for a inferior 001. As I see it, most of the stuff that I do will be going ADAT into pro-tools threw my higher grade converters and preamps. The last 8 tracks I will have to deal with. However I am trying to think ahead. To me it just wouldn't make sence for Digidesign to make the control 24 compatible with the 001, without plans of someday making a better unit that would also be able to use the control 24. Sure they have the Digi 002, but what happens when they finally decide that the 001 is just to inferior to all the rest of the products on the market. Do they just abandon it and go completely with the 002? I am betting that they just redesign the 001 with higher grade pre-amps and converters that would still sell under the 002. This unit would be compatible with the Control 24 since the 001 was compatible. Then I would have a high quality interface to go with my high quality controler.

What do you guys think? Am I completely crazy for trying to go for a control 24? Do you think that there will be a better interface someday to work with the control 24 other than the 002?

Bastiaan 03-19-2003 04:06 PM

Re: Control Surface vs. Digi 002 vs. Control 24?

Be careful...i think no other controlsurface is supported with the digi002...

So if you want to use the control|24...use a digi001.

Rabidium 03-19-2003 04:53 PM

You know, unless you plan on doing a lot of recording for many parts, the 002 seems like it'd suffice. It's still a pretty impressive looking unit in the professionalism department, so I don't think that's the major concern.

Unless you were just looking for some support from a gearhead addict, in which case:

"More is better! How dare you not buy the most expensive one? That's how you know it's better! Besides, the other inferior products are merely stepping stones to what you really want. C'mon man, buy the 24. You know you want it. Look at that, it's even got a cool moniker."

So I say you have to ask yourself, What do you want, a 24 or a 2? Looks to me like the 24 is clearly 12 times a better machine. You should buy now. put it on credit. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Of course I just spent half my unemployment check on a dvd burner. What? I NEED it.
-Olaf

ostrich99 03-19-2003 05:34 PM

Also keep in mind that the Mackie Control is supposedly "coming soon".

It seems pretty nice and can be expanded to more faders.

So far that's on the top of my list.

Ostrich99

Calvin 03-19-2003 06:06 PM

I know it sounds like I'm addicted. Which I probably am, but really for me, I have worked on the control 24 before and I just loved it. Right now I am trying to buy high quality gear that I won't just resell everytime I have a few bucks and want something better. The thing I really want to know is just whether or not someday the 001 will be upgraded to better converters and preamps? I want to get the Control 24, but I don't want to be stuck with the 001 the rest of my life. Will they put out a better LE product other than the 002 that I could use the control 24 on? I would think that someday they would. I just don't want to make such a huge investment and either be stuck with the 001 or be forced to go up to the TDM range. TDM is just something I don't have the money for right now. The 002 is a viable solution. I just like the control 24 so much better. I mean look at it, who wouldn't. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mikael Jönsson 03-20-2003 12:56 AM

One thing that I have learnt during my years of working with audio is that what you can se is what you can get. Ie don't spend money on something hoping that the manufacturer one day will support you with the solution you are hoping for.

That's why I left Nuendo some months ago, they didn't deliver the kind of solution I was hoping for. Digidesign did, with the 002.

I say that if you go for the large investent, you can't count on that Digi will upgrade the 001, you can only hope for it to happen. Are you ready to take that risk?

karusse 03-20-2003 02:51 AM

What about opting for a better preamp and converter? Mackie has a couple of motorized units you could get from ebay for a decent price. You could then take the remaining bucks and get a high end converter or preamp. I just recently got the digi001 and I started regretting not opting for the digi002, however, I now realize that it would be better to go for a control surface like a mackie (hui or baby hui). I say invest in something like fantastic preamps or converters (something that will retain value in the next few years). Plus, you'll get more bang for your buck if you could find quality used gear! I don't know, all of this typing and for all I know you have fantastic preamps and converters already, but I'm guessing you don't since that's one of the reasons you're thinking about the digi002. I say go for a baby hui and a kickin' preamp that you could sell later down the road for almost as much as you paid for it new.

Calvin 03-20-2003 05:44 AM

You guys are right. I shouldn't buy a product hoping that it will be supported in the future. It just isn't smart. Thank you, thats why I come here. I need to hear it from someone who actually knows what I'm talking about that I am a idiot and should stick to what I know is going to be around for a while.

Ssaidvox1 03-20-2003 06:05 AM

Calvin, i've been trying to make the same decision. I recently opened a project studio that i am using to build capital for a larger studio. Along the whole "professionalism" thing, i've decided to go with a control 24 and an Hd rig, down the road. I can get the control 24 early, use it with my 001, and look quite professional to a lot of musicians. Plus, I know it will control that beautiful HD rig I'm gonna buy months later. So rather than spending some money on a 002, for some high grade, but still consumer quality pres, y not save the cash and get the C|24? Just a thought [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] good luck! by the way, thanks for that mastering tip you posted a week or so ago, I've even used it while mixing! Damn good trick [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Calvin 03-20-2003 08:30 AM

Thats totally the way that I was thinking. My only problem is that I have no Idea when I would be able to move up to a HD rig. My totall goal is to make a full commercial studio. Not a big one, maybe one room, but totally professional. Someday in a real studio environment in a good building. But that is a long way away. Now I just want to buy quality equipment that I'm not going to have to resell at a loss. Darnit, I just can't ever make up my mind. Go with the decent stuff now and hope that it provides for better stuff later, or save up and work 2 jobs so I can get the good stuff now, so that I can move from a home studio to a good studio with ease. I must say that Phil is kinda a insperation, I would like to have a home on a good piece of land that I can build a studio on. That is the goal that I will achieve someday. I got to do this now. I know that I am at a perfect point in my life for doing this stuff. I have no wives or kids, only myself to support. I have to do this while I have the time and money to do it. ok anyway. Thanks guys for the input.

Phil, any opinions?