Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   EQing harmony vocals (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=390189)

skiffle 04-03-2017 12:56 PM

EQing harmony vocals

Hi,

I'm having a problem with some vocals, i have a stereo track with acoustic guitar, mandolin, and two male voices singing in close old time country harmony's, the problem is the higher harmony vocal is a bit louder than the lower harmony vocal.

Doe's anybody have any eq and or compression advice etc?
It would be greatly appreciated !

I'm using PT9 with Macbook pro...

skiffle

YYR123 04-03-2017 01:30 PM

Re: EQing harmony vocals

Multi band compression and sweep for the freq you want to tame.

That being said it is a workaround and not the best way to remedy the problem.

Anyway there might be more than one way but that's were I would start.

priorytools 04-03-2017 02:18 PM

You might try Soundradix's eq surfer. Watch the protools expert vid about it, then have a go with the demo

Ben Jenssen 04-03-2017 02:30 PM

So, this is one stereo track? How are the elements panned?

skiffle 04-03-2017 03:05 PM

Thanks guys, i'll give it a try!

Ben, i sucked the tune off of a cassette onto two mono tracks originally, after doing some basic editing i bounce them to disc through a Kramer master tape on a stereo maser fader, i then imported the track back in to the project as a stereo track panned hard let and right!

Thanks again!

skiffle

Ben Jenssen 04-03-2017 03:11 PM

I meant if the two vocals were a bit left and a bit to the right, you would have more options.

skiffle 04-03-2017 03:49 PM

Unfortunately not Ben, it was originally recorded with both vocals and guitar on one mic, and the mando through another mic on another track, both panned up the middle on an old tascam porta studio, the high harmony guy was a bit to close to the mic!

Cheers!

SigFriedChicken 04-03-2017 07:05 PM

Would Melodyne help with something like this? I think some versions of Melodyne can extract individual voices so you can manipulate them, separately.

albee1952 04-03-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken (Post 2422981)
Would Melodyne help with something like this? I think some versions of Melodyne can extract individual voices so you can manipulate them, separately.

Its worth a try, but don't expect a miracle(although Melodyne delivers that quite often:D). If you get lucky, and the part you want to lower is NOT on the same note as the acoustic, it may work, but that's going to be a crapshoot:o

Stephen Bond 04-04-2017 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiffle (Post 2422939)
Hi,

I'm having a problem with some vocals, i have a stereo track with acoustic guitar, mandolin, and two male voices singing in close old time country harmony's, the problem is the higher harmony vocal is a bit louder than the lower harmony vocal.

Doe's anybody have any eq and or compression advice etc?
It would be greatly appreciated !

I'm using PT9 with Macbook pro...

skiffle

The high harmony will always cut though more than the low ones in the same way that a high hat seems much louder than a bass drum if they are showing the same on the meters.

EQ and compress just add to taste. Probably impossible to say much more without hearing the tracks.

Stephen