Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Boom programming issue (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=269100)

MotifMan 03-11-2010 05:18 AM

Boom programming issue

Hi. I'm trying to use Boom to setup some beats but I'm getting a weird result. My meter is 4/4, tempo 60. I have a simple kick on the 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + in Boom on C3. In my track I layed down a whole note for measure 1 expecting 8 kicks, but I get a 9th one on the "a" "4+a" which I did not enter in Boom.

So the loop sounds strange because this extra 1/16 is being added and I don't know why. Any ideas why this is happening? If I play the loop in the Boom interface it does not occur. Only on the timeline.

filosofem 03-11-2010 12:38 PM

Re: Boom programming issue

Post Troubleshooting done thus far.

MotifMan 03-12-2010 06:14 AM

ProTools session settings:
Meter = 4/4
Tempo = 80
Grid = 1/8 notes
Slip mode (currently - just in case it matters)

Fire up Boom
Clear pattern one
Set notes on Kick in Boom on 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
Play within Boom and it sounds as it should - 8 kicks looping

In ProTools zoom in on measure 1, which is divided currently into 8 divisions because the grid is in 1/8's. So I've tried adding 8 individual notes to the measure, one whole note, two half notes but still get that 9th extra little beat at the end.

I'm sure it's because I don't understand how to properly record with Boom. Am I supposed to be looping a single note somehow on the track or what?

filosofem 03-12-2010 12:35 PM

That is not what I was referring too.

MotifMan 03-13-2010 11:41 AM

Well then I have no idea what you were referring to but I figured out what I was doing wrong. You are supposed to enter 1-Bar notes for Boom.

filosofem 03-13-2010 11:53 AM

I see what you have done. You can set-up Boom like that, just use octave C1-D#2. But the Troubleshooting I asked was because in some other posts of yours you seem to have a few computer issues. Anyways a bit of operator error I see. ;)

Top Jimmy 03-13-2010 12:41 PM

Every time you start a new midi note, you're starting the loop over again. If you've programmed a 1-bar loop, then you should have nothing less than a 1-bar note. Since you're in slip mode, is the end of the note hanging over just a touch? Switch to grid mode and make sure the note begins and ends in the right place.

*Edit* OK, I realized I'm wrong about the loop thing in Boom since it follows beat clock from the PT transport. But loops in other instruments like Xpand2 would start over at every midi note.

filosofem 03-13-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 1571616)
about the loop thing in Boom since it follows beat clock from the PT transport. But loops in other instruments like Xpand2 would start over at every midi note.

Generally VI's have some sort of built-in Sync that is user defined. So even in a 'Relative' grid performance an Instrument stays in time.