Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Artist Series (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Artist Control no longer connects (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412209)

pasanta 10-12-2020 04:33 PM

Artist Control no longer connects

I have an artist control and mix. Both have been fine. No changes to anything. All latest versions. EuContol 20.6.1.3 . OSX 10.13.6 MacPro. Firmware says current, albeit, for as long as it will stay connected to check. However, it would've been updated every time the mix was, and it is current.

The mix still connects normally. The control shows up at all in EuControl settings window for about 30 secs to a minute, before dropping the connections with a dialog box about connection issues. Sometimes it doesn't show at all. I have switched all cabling from the mix to the control, no change. Even the power supply. I've taken it off the ethernet hub and went directly to the Mac, no change. And I've tried setting a static IP, no change. And I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling EuControl.......even tried going back to a previous version.

Anything left to try......or does it need servicing?

EddieJones 10-13-2020 08:57 AM

Re: Artist Control no longer connects

I'm sorry it does sound like the hardware has an issue. What happens on the display when it connect and disconnects ?

pasanta 10-13-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieJones (Post 2580052)
I'm sorry it does sound like the hardware has an issue. What happens on the display when it connect and disconnects ?

if it connects at all, the screen just freezes however it was last. otherwise, it just never displays anything but the big AVID logo

MoPro 10-13-2020 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasanta (Post 2580015)
I have an artist control and mix...

The mix still connects normally. The control shows up at all in EuControl settings window for about 30 secs to a minute, before dropping the connections...

Anything left to try...or does it need servicing?

Have you tried connecting just the Control by itself to the MAC?

It does sound like you might have an intermittency during the handshake process... maybe check the Ethernet jack for looseness, or bent wire in the jack itself. Also check the power supply, jack, cord, etc.

Physically pick the unit up and gently shake the unit... listening for something loose rattling inside the unit. A broken solder bead, or loose screw can reek havoc in the wrong place.

I know what I suggested is a stretch, but you might as well check everything you can before you send it to have it serviced, and the more info you give the service tech may help them toward a solution.

pasanta 10-13-2020 03:26 PM

Yes to all that I'm afraid. And the same cable that works with the Mix, both on the hub and directly to the Mac, doesn't on the Control. I've checked the ethernet jack and nothing seems loose or broken. The units just sit on my desk.......worked Friday. Came Monday and the Control wouldn't connect. No one there on between and power totally off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoPro (Post 2580080)
Have you tried connecting just the Control by itself to the MAC?

It does sound like you might have an intermittency during the handshake process... maybe check the Ethernet jack for looseness, or bent wire in the jack itself. Also check the power supply, jack, cord, etc.

Physically pick the unit up and gently shake the unit... listening for something loose rattling inside the unit. A broken solder bead, or loose screw can reek havoc in the wrong place.

I know what I suggested is a stretch, but you might as well check everything you can before you send it to have it serviced, and the more info you give the service tech may help them toward a solution.

pasanta 11-30-2020 02:24 PM

I'm returning to this issue again. I just spoke with Sweetwater where I bought it and they wanted me to call Avid and arrange for service, as Sweetwater no longer services these. Of course, calling Avid just gets a switchboard, I select proper options and then get disconnected every time. I can't seem to wade thru any online process without buying a service ticket or something.

So how do you get a pice of Avid hardware serviced?

EddieJones 11-30-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasanta (Post 2585629)
I'm returning to this issue again. I just spoke with Sweetwater where I bought it and they wanted me to call Avid and arrange for service, as Sweetwater no longer services these. Of course, calling Avid just gets a switchboard, I select proper options and then get disconnected every time. I can't seem to wade thru any online process without buying a service ticket or something.

So how do you get a pice of Avid hardware serviced?

The Artist Control is end of support. Try these guys: https://advancedmusical.com/

pasanta 11-30-2020 07:12 PM

Pathetic. But typical Avid.

MoPro 12-01-2020 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasanta (Post 2580015)
I've taken it off the ethernet hub and went directly to the Mac, no change.

Anything left to try......or does it need servicing?

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but try connecting the Artist Devices via an unmanaged switch instead of a hub...

Several users in the past that have had connection issues have had success connecting the devices this way. My connection is via an unmanaged switch, and I have never had connection dropping issues... I don't know why... It just works! Not a router... just a switch!

I would definitely give it a shot before sending it in to have it serviced. I use a D-Link DGS-1005G, 5 port Gigabit switch. Never a hiccup... promise!

Al

DominikS 03-28-2021 07:42 AM

Hi Pasanta,

I have the exact same story happening here. Same setup, same symptoms. So I wonder, could you ever got the issue resolved?

Since we know that the Artist Control is end of life, I assume I have to except that it just died...

Thanks for your insight

Dominik