Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Virus Protection? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406499)

audiobob 09-27-2019 07:22 AM

Virus Protection?

Been on Windows for a year now and have not used any virus protection and have been fine...though I don't surf much and especially don't go to weird sites. I now have AVG free but wondering if I need more. I use Source Connect quite a bit so don't want to mess with that connection. Looking to see what people use (or don't use) with Windows 10 and Pro Tools.

JFreak 09-27-2019 07:29 AM

Re: Virus Protection?

Who needs virus protection when you can install Google by yourself? There is no software that prevents you from hitting Agree.

audiobob 09-27-2019 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2539420)
Who needs virus protection when you can install Google by yourself?

Sorry Janne...not getting the sarcasm...(if any) :-)

JFreak 09-27-2019 08:01 AM

Seriously, your production machine would ideally have as little installs and background processes as possible. I would skip antivirus and rely on regular backups

junkgear 09-27-2019 08:10 AM

Windows Defender, which is the default on Windows 10, isn't bad at all for protecting your system and PT seems to run just fine with it enabled.

If you really don't do much with your system outside of music production and browse legit sites, you most likely don't need anything more.

Benoni 09-27-2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkgear (Post 2539429)
Windows Defender, which is the default on Windows 10, isn't bad at all for protecting your system and PT seems to run just fine with it enabled.

If you really don't do much with your system outside of music production and browse legit sites, you most likely don't need anything more.

Agreed. Windows Defender is on by default, so OP did have an anti-virus and malware. When you install AVG that usually turns off Windows Defender and AVG is used in its place.

For most people, just stick with Win defender, make sure you don't click on email attachments from people you don't know, and don't click 'Install' or 'OK' for anything that pops-up while browsing the web, and don't go to weird sites.

That will protect you 99.9% of the time.

Darryl Ramm 09-27-2019 11:57 AM

Run naked and free...

You have to be super careful what you do with any computer. Studios accepting work or letting folks attach storage should have a way to fence systems off and might scan stuff on other machines... but I personally dislike running AV software on any Pro Tools machine.

audiobob 09-27-2019 12:26 PM

Thanks everyone. Will stay with Defender and run (almost) naked and free. :p

albee1952 09-27-2019 04:45 PM

I also only run Windows Defender, BUT(the great big BUT.....) I also have a backup plan. I have a recent clone of my system drive. If all hell breaks loose and I get some virus or other garbage, I pull the C" drive. pop in the clone and go back to work. After a few days of smooth sailing, I clone over the infected drive from the good one:D

Stronger 10-15-2019 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkgear (Post 2539429)

I turned off Windows Update, it was annoying when I worked, I also used 1 copyright KTS, are there any threats?