Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   PRO TOOLS 9 with MULTIPLE ILOKS? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=295455)

reansm 02-24-2011 11:15 AM

PRO TOOLS 9 with MULTIPLE ILOKS?

Hello. I own a Mbox 2 Pro with Pro Tools 8.0.4. I want to crossgrade to PT9 and I understand that once I purchase it, I have to transfer the license to an iLok. I was wondering if it is possible to transfer that same license to multiple iLoks so I can carry one with me have and the other one connected to my PC the whole time. Is that possible?

Thanks!

guitar486 02-24-2011 11:59 AM

Re: PRO TOOLS 9 with MULTIPLE ILOKS?

Nope

Eric Seaberg 02-24-2011 05:01 PM

If you crossgrade you will lose your PT8 license. If you want to run PT8 on one system and PT9 on the other then you'll need to purchase a FULL LICENSE for PT9.

mblanton66 02-24-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg (Post 1757660)
If you crossgrade you will lose your PT8 license. If you want to run PT8 on one system and PT9 on the other then you'll need to purchase a FULL LICENSE for PT9.

Where on earth did you hear that?

PT8 licenses are the codes inside the covers of the manuals. I crossgraded, and the license sticker is still there...

Crossgrading will net you one PT9 ilok asset. That can go on only one ilok. Coming from LE, you will not give up anything you already have. Although it wasn't your question, you CAN have PT8.x installed on one machine (with attached Digi hardware) while having PT9 installed on as many other machines as you want--using any compliant interface--but can only run it on the machine that has the ilok attached.

Eric Seaberg 02-24-2011 06:20 PM

Maybe M-Powered is a different beast, as far as upgrades, but every MP user that crossgrades loses their MP license. I specifically didn't crossgrade so I could have MP 8 on my G5 and PT9 on my MBPro, while all of the studio rigs are HD9.

LE is, as you suggest, different?

getz76 02-24-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg (Post 1757691)
LE is, as you suggest, different?

There is no iLok asset required for Pro Tools LE.

Eric Seaberg 02-24-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getz76 (Post 1757697)
There is no iLok asset required for Pro Tools LE.

Then what's the 'crossgrade'? Avid/Digi is NOT going to let him keep an LE license when it's used for a crossgrade to 9. Crossgrade equals forfeit.

Ryan Young 02-24-2011 09:20 PM

There is no iLok license for Pro Tools 8.x

Eric Seaberg 02-24-2011 09:31 PM

You're saying there's NO iLok for PT 8LE? Wow... that's going to change once you up to PT9. I still don't think Avid is going to give you a crossgrade without taking your PT8LE license... that's what crossgrade is all about.

Ryan Young 02-24-2011 09:38 PM

Yes, I am saying that; and things did change once I went to PT9. I now have a PT9 license on my iLok and did not have to surrender anything. I had to give the serial number of my PTLE hardware to confirm that I was an existing client, though. Crossgrade = Crossgrade. I still have PT8 on my laptop and on my other desktop. Everything works just fine.