Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   mono -> stereo. How to do it in PT? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407190)

senghor 11-17-2019 11:20 AM

mono -> stereo. How to do it in PT?

Hi!

How to make a mono track stereo. I can of cause duplicate the track, but I want to make it stereo. It will of cause be "double mono", but this way I can process them on same track and at the same time make it wide.

amagras 11-17-2019 12:01 PM

Re: mono -> stereo. How to do it in PT?

Many times when you are about to insert a plugin on a mono track you are given two options, mono and mono-stereo, use the latest

albee1952 11-17-2019 03:13 PM

It really depends on what the end goal is. Making a mono sound have width is tricky(at best) and some things might not translate well if the final mix gets played back on a mono system(the track might simply sound mono, or it might disappear due to phase cancellation). Duplicating by itself does nothing. If you take the duplicate and nudge it in time(600-1600 samples) will help some. Using Elastic Pitch to change the pitch slightly(6-11 cents sharp or flat) will help some. If you are the player, then double-track the part. If its a guitar track, play it again. If its an electric guitar part, change amp settings or use a different guitar or pickup setting. If its a vocal part, double-tracking is the ideal way. There are some plugins that create a double so you might demo some of those and print the results(Izoptope Vocal Doubler, ReVoice Pro and Sonnox Voxdoubler are 3 options).

Mono Electric guitar tracks will work great without doubling if you pan to one side and send to a mono reverb on the opposite side(Dverb works nicely). remember to use a MONO AUX track for this:o

amagras 11-17-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2544790)
It really depends on what the end goal is. Making a mono sound have width is tricky(at best) and some things might not translate well if the final mix gets played back on a mono system(the track might simply sound mono, or it might disappear due to phase cancellation). Duplicating by itself does nothing. If you take the duplicate and nudge it in time(600-1600 samples) will help some. Using Elastic Pitch to change the pitch slightly(6-11 cents sharp or flat) will help some. If you are the player, then double-track the part. If its a guitar track, play it again. If its an electric guitar part, change amp settings or use a different guitar or pickup setting. If its a vocal part, double-tracking is the ideal way. There are some plugins that create a double so you might demo some of those and print the results(Izoptope Vocal Doubler, ReVoice Pro and Sonnox Voxdoubler are 3 options).

Mono Electric guitar tracks will work great without doubling if you pan to one side and send to a mono reverb on the opposite side(Dverb works nicely). remember to use a MONO AUX track for this:o

Unless you want to take advantage of a certain plugin's built in stereo features

Benoni 11-17-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senghor (Post 2544779)
Hi!

How to make a mono track stereo. I can of cause duplicate the track, but I want to make it stereo. It will of cause be "double mono", but this way I can process them on same track and at the same time make it wide.

Plugin Alliance bx_stereomaker is my go to usually.

There's also Schoeps Mono Upmix

For something free, grab WIDER from Polyverse

Also, if you just duplicate your mono track and pan full LEFT/RIGHT, you'll still be right down the middle, just louder. Check it on a scope.

dougdi 11-18-2019 04:44 AM

+1 for BX Stereomaker.