Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   anyone using a faderport with 2020? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409546)

zwolf 04-14-2020 08:58 AM

anyone using a faderport with 2020?

So I was just doing what I normally do - laborious hand drawing of automation - and got the familiar itch to finally get on board with a fader controller to speed up this workflow. I don't want to spend much and I'm content with a mouse and keyboard commands for 95% of what I do so I doubt I'd take full advantage of a more fully featured unit such as an S1. That leaves me looking for something cheap and minimalist, and it seems the presonus faderports are probably the best choice in this field of less than stellar options.

I'm looking at the classic or the v2 and wondering who is still using them. I'm on Mojave and it seems this is the last OS update for the drivers on the classic...but I imagine the basic HUI protocol would probably allow for that to work still once I update to Catalina?

I guess I'm just looking for feedback from anyone actually using one still with the new PT 2020 and whether there's any snafu I need to consider. I don't think I'm even particularly worried about the issue of not following the track selection after track 8, as I'd really only use it to draw the automation and I could deal with the extra right click and section of "scroll to selection" or whatever is necessary to get the unit to update.

It's not a huge financial risk and I'm not asking a lot in terms of my expectations....Any feedback from actual users?

albee1952 04-14-2020 01:22 PM

Re: anyone using a faderport with 2020?

Still using the original faderport here. I was all set to buy the new one when I discovered that they(Presonus) left off the buttons to switch between MIX and EDIT windows(which I use a lot):eek:

sw rec 04-14-2020 05:43 PM

Using one here too, on Win 10. It’s worked perfectly since PT11.

musicman691 04-15-2020 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2561635)
Still using the original faderport here. I was all set to buy the new one when I discovered that they(Presonus) left off the buttons to switch between MIX and EDIT windows(which I use a lot):eek:

Thanks hugely for posting this as I was set to ask my wife to get it for me as a present for our upcoming wedding anniversary.

zwolf 04-16-2020 08:59 AM

Thanks, all. Seems pretty safe considering the cheap cost of a used classic and how little I actually want to achieve with it :-)

hughh 04-16-2020 09:16 AM

Maybe check out the Behringer X-Touch One.

Same price. More functions.

I do not have that unit but I do have an X-Touch AND an X-Touch Compact and both are quite good - and excellent for the price.

Hugh

musicman691 04-16-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hughh (Post 2561926)
Maybe check out the Behringer X-Touch One.

Same price. More functions.

I do not have that unit but I do have an X-Touch AND an X-Touch Compact and both are quite good - and excellent for the price.

Hugh

But has Behringer's quality gotten any better? They used to be the laughing stock of the audio world.

hughh 04-16-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2561937)
But has Behringer's quality gotten any better? They used to be the laughing stock of the audio world.

MUCH Better, IMO.

Hugh

albee1952 04-16-2020 12:46 PM

The Behringer is very nice, but they also left off buttons to select MIX and EDIT windows:eek:

hughh 04-16-2020 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2561967)
The Behringer is very nice, but they also left off buttons to select MIX and EDIT windows:eek:

I believe the F1 and F2 Buttons will do that.

They do on my MCU in HUI Mode.

Hugh