Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Cheap single PCIe TB3 chassis or .... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=401831)

corp 11-06-2018 06:16 PM

Cheap single PCIe TB3 chassis or ....

Since the Mac Pro is not available until next year what is the cheapest single slot PCIe TB3 chassis available or is it better to build a Hackintosh with motherboard slots?;)

skizzo 11-07-2018 07:12 AM

Re: Cheap single PCIe TB3 chassis or ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by corp (Post 2504935)
Since the Mac Pro is not available until next year what is the cheapest single slot PCIe TB3 chassis available or is it better to build a Hackintosh with motherboard slots?;)

this is a Pro Tools forum and you are asking a question explicitly about the price(s) of PCIe TB3 chassis and building a hackintosh. :confused:

you should be doing you own price comparison shopping. also I am sure you would get more detailed feedback from a forum for Mac Pros and/or Hackintosh builds

corp 11-07-2018 01:54 PM

Many not all who use PTHDX use a external chassis and a percentage use Hackintosh and the question is not explicitly on price but info on what people are using with experience. Only people with experience should post.:roll eyes:

Magma, Sonnet, other...........

JFreak 11-07-2018 02:21 PM

You can always ask, but not many here know about hackintoshes or are willing to share the information of not-so-legal things...

grayter1 11-07-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corp (Post 2505021)
Many not all who use PTHDX use a external chassis and a percentage use Hackintosh and the question is not explicitly on price but info on what people are using with experience. Only people with experience should post.:roll eyes:

Magma, Sonnet, other...........

Yeah, Hacks are a touchy subject around here. Mentioning them only tends to ruffle feathers and bunch up undees...

I just recently moved from OS X back to Windows after many years using Macs and Hacks. I never used an external chassis with my Hack at home, but I use a Magma chassis on my office iMac at my day job. It works extremely well, and I haven't had any issues with it. I work in Post, so we also have a Blackmagic Intensity Pro card, along with our HDX cards in our chassis. Again, it all works great.

tg

corp 11-07-2018 06:15 PM

Thanks tg.:D

Mike Thornton 11-11-2018 01:06 AM

To answer your question there is a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box (eGPU Expansion System) priced at $ 199.00 Hope that helps.

Mike

panamajack 11-11-2018 04:41 AM

The Sonnet looks like it might work for HDX, eventually.

Has Avid removed the caveat against 10.13.4? (See 4/19/2018 technical alert.)

And the Sonnet breakaway box is not currently compatible with the 2018 15" MBP.

D'oh!

JFreak 11-12-2018 11:12 AM

we all keep hearing rumours, but that's just what they are... rumours until confirmed